+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size Tippet for trout

Default Size Tippet for trout

I realize this can be a broad topic, but what size tippet do you generally use for trout that go grow from 10 to 20 inches? I use 4x under normal flows and colored water. When the water is thin and clear I drop down to 5x. I fish central, PA so I'm not speaking of big rivers such as there is out west. George Harvey, the dean of PA fly fishing, suggested that you never need to fish anything smaller than 4x. Just looking for opnions because I'm always trying to learn.

When fishing big browns at night, I usually use straight 6# mono. Same for steelhead except sometimes 4# on the dropper. But for drys on bigger fish, 4X should be fine.

Bob

I would use 4 or 5X flouro, depending on the size of the trout.

Randy

I'm like you...I'll drop down to a 5x when I'm using #22/#24 tricos, but usually I'm fishing a 4x.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Usually a 6X, but the waters are smaller, and incredibly clear. If really spooky fish, will drop to a 7X or 8X. Never had any problem landing the big fish on fine tippet and light rods.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Should off...nymphing

I forgot to mention my question on tippet was in reference to nymphing. I always fish trico dries on size 6x, fall olives on 6x and sulfurs on 5x. I don't hink I've ever used 7x for any dry fishing. Maybe I should when fishing dry midges. I nymph 90% of the time, but when there's a hatch, I certainly go after 'em on top.

5-7x.

If the fish are wary 7X is the trick. Landed a 20 inch brown last year on it. Not as fragile as some would have you think.

Now if you are fishing at night, go as thick as you can.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 11-19-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I fish 3X or 4X 99% of the time for nymphs when trout fishing. I never found anything lighter to be necessary and besides; with 3X or 4X I at least have a chance on recovering a snagged fly.

I read in classic fishing manual (LUNKERS LOVE NIGHTCRAWLERS) many years ago to always use the 'heaviest line you can' and still catch lots of fish.

That still applies, as far as I can tell, to trout fishing with a fly rod.

Things have changed alot regarding tippet nomenclature versus breaking strength. I have an old spool of Scientific Angler '5X' tippet that lists the breaking strength at 2 pounds. The 'new' 5X stuff I have breaks over 4 pounds now. THAT is a significant increase. Also, the advent of flourocarbon with it's invisibility factor plus an even stronger strength to diameter ratio means that you can use much stronger line than our fly fishing predecessors could and still get the fish to eat the fly.

I've always used 5X as the default tippet strength when trout fishing. Over four pounds of breaking strength is plenty for trout up to around 30 inches in average waters. Adding in obstructions, large flies, or heavy current will require a bit heavier, finicky fish, tiny flies, or very clear waters might need finer stuff.

It's always a balancing act. The key for me is light enough to not spook the fish....I'd just as soon hook them and lose them as not hook them at all.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    I read in classic fishing manual (LUNKERS LOVE NIGHTCRAWLERS) many years ago to always use the 'heaviest line you can' and still catch lots of fish.
    Wow. I figured I was the only guy on this board who read that book.

+ Reply to Thread