+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread size question

Default Thread size question

What is the size difference, in size, between size A (gudebrod) nylon thread and a 3/0 tying thread?

I know gudebrod size A is .006 diameter and 2.7 lb break strength.

I bought some size D gudebrod nylon (rod winding) thread for some 1/0 bass flies. I think it is about twice the diameter of size A. The 6/0 black thread I had was just too small. I am going to give the size D a try as they did not have size A in black.

Thanks.

Smile

I have never understood the problem about using heavier thread. Maybe I'm doing something unusual but for years I've been using 6/0 Flymaster that I learned on decades ago for all tying. For smaller flies there are finer threads available but if you can't even spin bucktail with 6/0 it is my opinion that you are too heavy handed. Easy does it.

not heavy handed with the 6/0. Its just that . . . do you how many wraps of 6/0 it takes to build up the head of a Calcasieu Pig Boat? I'd like to conserve a little more thread.

Soloman,

The size D thread is pretty heavy stuff. I don't even use that for rod wrapping. Way to heavy for me.

Even size 'A' rod winding thread is awfully thick for fly tying. You can use it, but it bulks up fast (not a good thing, even on a pig boat) and while it sounds 'backwards', isn't as strong (more wraps with a finer thread is stronger). What we are all looking for is the proper balance between holding power and thread build up.

For your bass flies, 3/0 or 6/0 depending on the fly, should be all you need. I do use GSP (kevlar, spiderwire) type theads for spinning deer hair.

If you want to build up the head faster on that pig boat, try changing threads after you've added the materials. Use 3/0 for the 'tying' part then tie on some A for the building the head part. Just understand that it will take more finish to get that nice glossy 'jig head' look if you use thicker threads. Another tip for the piggy..try changing to wire for the head...adds some extra weight....I've also had good luck with epoxy over the head to get it smooth and shiny faster.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Normand Guest

Buddy, thanks for the tips. I really don't care about the glossy head or the eyes. I could be worng, but I think that catches more fishermen than fish. I might glue on doll eyes, just in case.

Thanks Normand. I did read that article. I have found that the D thread is way too stiff, and since it is round, it doesn't stay in place well.

+ Reply to Thread