+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hatch Charts for MD

Default Hatch Charts for MD

I'm looking for a source for a hatch chart for Western MD, specifically the Savage and N. Branch of Potomac. I'm planning a week long fishing trip down there in May 2009 and can't seem to find anything on these rivers.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

B.J.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default How about a book?

Hi Slate,

I've had trouble finding hatch charts for specific rivers in the East and Southeast which is probably a good thing since charts are only approximations anyway. Cold springs, late falls, mild winters, etc. throw them all off. I've got two books that I have found to be very useful when trying to predict and match hatches on Eastern waters. The first book, Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. It breaks the east down into five areas and gives you both the approximate time period of hatches and the sequence of hatches. Caddis flies are also catalogued by water type which is very helpful. I've read the material on all five sections which has been very helpful in the identification of "universal flies" in the entire area. Great book; try to beg, borrow, steal, or even buy it if you can. Fishbugs by Thomas Ames Jr. has some remarkable pictures to help you identify and tie these Eastern Flies.

If you want to try something easier, just Goggle fly shops and Trout Unlimited chapters in the Northern MD area. Many of list of hatches, their approximate date and suggested immitiation and fly sizes. Good Luck. I always loved the Potomac River. Watch Out for the "nude guy." 8T

SD:

If you don't have Charlie Gelso & Larry Coburn's book: "Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing"; check it out.

While it doesn't have "charts", it does have chapters on both the Savage & N. Branch of the Potomac and each chapter has a section titled: " Hatches, Other Stream Life, and Effective Patterns" with hatch info.

It's a pretty good book and small enough to tote along with you on the trip if desired. Considering all the Maryland fishermen that come into South Central PA and even your neck of the woods; it's a pretty easy book to find. You may even find a copy in a Barnes & Noble.

Good luck!

Smile Hatch Charts for Western MD

Go to http://www.springcreekoutfitter.com/fishingreports.htm and scroll down.

They're pretty reliable...

Default Thanks guys

I appreciate the responses. I guess a hatch chart may not be what I am looking for, but to know specific species that are present in particular watersheds. I know that most regions have the same hatches, but one river system may have, for instance, the green drake and the river over the mountain may not for whatever reason.

I'll look into the books mentioned. Anyone able to suggest a flyshop that services the Savage and other nearby waters? I've been to Savage River Outfitters, but can't find any links to "hatches."
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

You can usually get North Branch and Savage reports at http://www.easterntrophies.com/. And as someone mentioned above, that Maryland stream guide has oodles of info. I usually fish the North Branch every year, and occasionally the Savage, so if you drop me a PM as your trip approaches I may be able to give you some advice. I believe the North Branch is one of the best tailwaters in the East.

Also, you may wanna check with the Maryland DNR to make sure they aren't doing any dam releases when you head out there. Occasionally they make whitewater in the spring and fall, but it's all scheduled.

Best,

Dave

Besides contacting Mike directly (Savage River Outfitters), you can try Theaux or Jason over at Backwater Angler outside Baltimore as they do a LOT of fishing out there in Western MD. I've never seen an actual chart for the area, but I might be able to dig one up...

Marty

This reply won't be the answer you are looking for, but to the best of my knowledge, the closest hatch chart will be somewhere in the Hagerstown/Boonsboro area. I live in Western Md. and have been unable to obtain a hatch chart for Allegany or Garrett Counties.

Sorry for the no help.
    Steve

black ant. Shhhh.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread