+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Castwell this week

Default Castwell this week

This week I'm going to recall one of my columns from the archives, March 5th, 1999. I'm doing this because over the last few days I have learned of at least two guys who have had this happen to them. My point is that there are a lot of helpful ideas in the back articles. Just because they were written a long time ago does not necessarily mean they are out dated.
    The two rods that were broken were owned by fellows who have been members on FAOL for a long time. Just hadn't found any good reason to look into the back issues. It has now cost both of them a broken fly rod. Some things are so simple and seem so trivial and unimportant that we may overlook the information when we see it. This article can prove costly if you miss it.
    There are also many other ideas in those writings and I hope you can find the time to check them out. It may pay you well in exchange. http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/cst/

Thumbs up Good one JC

Hey Jim, ... Add also, ... when one does the "rod parallel to the line" trick, ... you also risk hooking yourself REALLY badly if the hook pulls out as you're sliding your hand down the leader! There is so much load on the rod and tension in the line that the fly'll just ZIP right into your hand/finger/EYE! if it pulls out.

As for NOT breaking a rod, ... we see a few every year when folks fight big fish. Keep the rod no more than 90degrees to the line!!

Andre Marceau showing good form on the 47 and a particularily feisty salmon

Thanks for the reminder!
    Christopher Chin

I really liked that short and to the point article JC. As someone who enjoys fishing for 10" brook trout on smaller spring creeks this leason is not as important to me as when I fish for carp on light tackle. Even when they look spent there is always the possibility of another run from these very powerful fresh water fish. My rod has always concerned me when landing a larger fish and I have adopted this same technique for some time now. I'm not sure where I first became aware of this technique but it has served me well.

Another thread on FAOL was also very relavant to this same type of discussion and this link adds some insight: http://castflys.net/fightfish.aspx

Rick

By the way, that picture from Chris is from his column this week. Good one,,, got a fly on it too!

http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/

Great lesson. For me it was an accident waiting to happen. Now I know what not to do when landing a fish.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Good article and an easy lesson to forget. I've got the technique for bazillion lb elm fish down pat LOL, but your article points to a much likelier culpret to claim a rod. Thanks.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Good article and an easy lesson to forget. I've got the technique for bazillion lb elm fish down pat LOL, but your article points to a much likelier culpret to claim a rod. Thanks.
    We have Kajillion pound pine pike up here .

I once stood on the banks of the Columbia river and snagged a very large Ponderosa that was floating by in a heck of a hurry. Athough I had the drag set fairly tight that Log was still able to take out line and snaped my Shakespear rod before I could loosen that drag.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread