+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the future of flyrod material Boron/Graphite?

Default Is the future of flyrod material Boron/Graphite?

I see two manufacturers,Orvis & Winston,have gone the Boron/Graphite route for flyrod blank material.Is this the future of flyrods?

Orvis went this route once B4 a long time ago. I have one downstairs somewhere. Never cared for it. Perhaps some new engineering has now produced a better rod with that combination of materials. If Mike_D see this perhaps he can tell you as he is assc. with Orvis.

If future rods behave, feel and weigh anything like the Winston BIIx, it should be!

I'll second that Jackster...

Ron

5. Default

i bet the people whove been fly fishing for a long time have seen a lot of change, from cane to boron/graphite. now i wonder what younger guys like me will see change

My opinion is that it will go to injected plastics in the years to come there are now some plastic materals that are light and stronger than what we are now useing. and This is fact THE LIGHTER THE BETTER! when buliding a rod of any kind. You can make any action you want out of any material The lighter the finshed product is the better the rod will preform in any action.

Rich

At some point I think rods will be "grown" with nanotech technology from carbon buckyball/tube molecules. Carbon is the most amazing element.

They will also incorporate dynamic compensation such that they will load easily for short casts yet turn stiff for long casts.

The guides will be room temperature superconductors and fly line will travel right through the middle without contact.

I hope to see these rods one day...

I did some lawn casting with a ZeroGravity 9' 5wt last week. I was impressed with it, but it is not the rod for me.

It was more like casting a VERY light piece of steel than a flyrod. I think they are WAY to stiff and I casting fishing a mid-flex.

It does weigh almost nothing. I'd really like to try it out in an 8wt with a big salt water fly on it.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

One of the problems with boron is it is heavier than graphite so the manufacturers who use it do so sparingly (like just in the butt section of the B2)...

David, yes there are slower high mod graphite rods around. Sage has made a couple which are moderate not fast action, and we just had a Global Dorber rod here in a 2/3 weight which was purposely designed to feel like bamboo. It is very nice!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Fishyfranky, Right on with your thoughts
    now that will be quite a rod to fish
    with!

Take care!

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread