+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolling crappie

That's how I caught this one a long while ago. Foul hooked but still caught on the pond surface.

Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Crappie on the fly

I pursue crappie using a flyrod alot,if you see a slight v or wake coming to the top but not really busting the top it is probably crappie running minnows to the top of the water,they will also feed on mayfly nymphs with zest.We have a two acre mill pond and i have blue duns that hatch oct-march and i catch them on small 16-20 mayfly dries and emergers and can be just as hard to catch as spooky trout,fun on my one man boat too!

Smile

Thanks, 8T. I guess maybe the term refers to any "miss" by a fish rising to a surface fly. Which could include smacking the fly with the side of the head, tail swatting the fly, swimming over the fly to submerge it, and reversing course at the last second and creating a big swirl under it.

I feel better already; fish -- especially bluegills but perhaps crappie, too, for all I know -- have abused me in this manner lots of times. Did I say "lots of times"? Sorry, don't even get me started!

So...warmfishernc: I guess my only advice is to just keep casting and hope for better luck. Helpful, aren't I?

Robert, you only posted that crappie photo to torture us poor Midwesterners.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Wink Joe, you are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hyde View Post
    Thanks, 8T. I guess maybe the term refers to any "miss" by a fish rising to a surface fly. Which could include smacking the fly with the side of the head, tail swatting the fly, swimming over the fly to submerge it, and reversing course at the last second and creating a big swirl under it.

I feel better already; fish -- especially bluegills but perhaps crappie, too, for all I know -- have abused me in this manner lots of times. Did I say "lots of times"? Sorry, don't even get me started!

So...warmfishernc: I guess my only advice is to just keep casting and hope for better luck. Helpful, aren't I?

Robert, you only posted that crappie photo to torture us poor Midwesterners.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Joe,

I've been abused this way myself on many trips. When the brim are pulling this trick, you can't buy a hook-up with a million dollars and a brand new Sage. 8T

I went to a local pond this evening and used the popper dropper technique.

I had a gurgle pop for the popper and one of my "tinsel" flies for the dropper. The tinsel flies are easy to tie and quite effective. A bunch of maribou tied in at the tail (white seems to work the best) and then wrap tinsel (silver) up to the eye. Sometimes I tie some red thread at the head and sometimes I just add a bead (like this one).

Jeff

Thanks for all the input guys.

With some new knowledge, I returned to my pond Sunday armed with a crease fly and a crappie candy dropped about 3' behind it. An hour later I had brought to hand 9 crappie and 1 nice bass. I feel redeemed.

I don't like these new early evenings.

nighthawk Guest

Been following this thread with interest. Thanks for sharing your techniques and experiences folks. I look forward to trying out some of these wonderful tips. Great photos of some beautiful fish too. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread