+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone try this "Old Trick"???

Default anyone try this "Old Trick"???

Reading some Traver, I found a passage describing the use of a Rubber Band between the fly line and leader to absorb shock of a strike...

Anyone ever try this?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default That is old!

Hi brhoff,

Rubber bands sound just plain unreliable to me. I believe that Power Gum may be a more reliable substitute though I don't use either. I try to keep a soft hand and arm on the rod at all times. 8T

Blog Entries

You don't want to try that with barbless hooks or you'll probably loose most of your fish to "long distance releases". In fact, with barbless hooks, you don't even want to hold your rod to high or the springiness will allow fish to escape.

Ed, who has extensively researched ways to loose fish

Wasn't looking to actually try it , just curious...artical written somewhere in the 40's I presume.

I can ony imagine the debate regarding pound test of various rubber bands...Staples vs. Office Depot.

we use something similar while trolling for steelhead which have a tendancy to break everything on the strike---ive brought up broken swivels, hookless lures, broken 20# flourocarbon leaders and just a braided line

the snubbers that we use are silicone rubber tubing with a wire thats a bit longer inside ---it will stretch til it hits the wire so some of the impact is reduced. Having a steelhead hit a trolled lure rigged for walleye is like throwing 25 bucks away every time you get a hit
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Talking old tricks

My step-dad used 1/4" latex tubing with a long wire pushed through it tied swivel to leader to troll for salmon in Oregon. It worked good as a shock absorber when he'd get a strike. Later I was looking for a material similar to use while trolling for large fish in lakes. My dentist gave me a couple of lengths of stretchy material that might have been floss. I'm not real sure what it's purpose was but it was dang near unbreakable, stretched real good and did the job of helping to hook fishes. That was over 20 years ago. I'm not sure but I believe I still have some in an old tackle box. Ask your dentist about it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

You tie two loops in your leader, the length betweeen them the length of the 'stretched but not quite to the breaking point' of the rubber band.

Loop the rubber band through these loops in the line.

It pulls some slack in the line and lets the rubber take the 'shock' of a hard strike, but the line is still there to take the strain when the band is stretched tight.

A little more subtle than the rubber snubbers and won't efect the casting stroke as much with a fly rod.

I've seen it used lately by guys fishing for Kokanee...I guess they hit hard.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I use fiberglass rods. No need for a shock tip when it's at the end of your rod.

Default here is your quarry

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I believe that Power Gum may be a more reliable substitute
    I heard of some English fisherman who use this a lot (and, as noted above, it's also called "shock gum".)

+ Reply to Thread