+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 weight question for the experts

Default 3 weight question for the experts

I'm assembling a new 3wt outfit using Rio line. All my previous experience has been with 5,6 and 8 weight outfits. I've always used either a braided loop or nail knot to attach my leader. My question is this. Given the small diameter of the 3 wt line, what would be the best method of attaching the leader to this size line? Thanks for your input.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Attach a piece of monofilament, with a perfection loop in the end, to the flyline with a nail knot.

OOPS! Just saw the request is to be from experts ... never mind.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Long ago I gave up on trying to use knots to make such connections. Somewhere along the line, someone showed me how simple loop-to-loop connections between fly line and leader worked just fine. I've been using nothing but for over 10 years on everything from 3 through 8 weight.

To make the loop-to-loop, I double back about 2 inches of the fly line and then whip finish about one half inch making a smooth transition. Then I cover the whip finish with flexible cement "just because someone showed me how it worked for them".

When using a mono leader, I make a simple overhand knot in the leader butt section and add a drop of superglue (more for me than for any real reason) and then put everything together.

Honestly, over the past several years I have worked to simplify fly fishing by using loop-to-loop connections, furled leaders with 2 to 4 feet of tippet again joined to my furled leader with a loop-to-loop. I have never (honestly) had a leader / fly line separation due to knot failure.

As Betty said, you're looking for an expert opinion, and as with all things fly fishing, your mileage will vary...........
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 10-29-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post

OOPS! Just saw the request is to be from experts ... never mind.
    LOL. Same reason I don't reply to many threads; only 377 posts in 9 years.

I am way far and away from being an expert but I like to hear myself type.

I use the same attachment as Betty for everything. Not only works on 3 wt.'s but I also use it on running line for steelheading. Never had one pull out. Keep the mono light - maybe .012 to .015 for a 3 wt. and keep the distance between the perfection loop and the fly line close. I use Loon UV on the nail knot. You might try tying your own leaders with a similar size butt loop if it will turn over okay for you.

Try JC's connection too. Probably would work very well on a 3 wt.

Bob

Wink Expert Opinion

Dave -

I know you were just kidding about the expert opinion thing, so I'm willing to give one.

For several years I used braided loops on all my fly lines, regardless of weight, and regardless of the kind of leader I was using. Others have complained about them for one reason or another, but I never had one fail with a fish on ( trout fishing only ).

Before the braided loops, I used the method described by Betty. For a 3 wt, I would probably go with a 6" piece of 20# test Maxima leader material. Tie a perfection loop at one end and nail not the other to the line.

HOWEVER, recently, reading another thread, I decided to take a good look at the Castwell Knot, which I had heard about before but never considered ( THAT shows what an expert I am !! ). I tried it on my 3 wt with a furled leader. Now the Castwell Knot is the only one I will use with a furled leader. ( INDEED, that alone qualifies me to be an expert on this subject. )

The only problem with the Castwell Knot that I can see, if you are using mono leaders that you will have to change out rather regularly, rather than furled leaders that last practically forever, you will lose a bit of fly line every time you change to a new leader. The knot is very small - goes through the guides easily - and very strong.

Here's a link to JC's claim to fame ( one of them, anyway ) -

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...s/castwell.php

John
    The fish are always right.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Keep it simple!

What Betty said. Monofilament, nail knot, perfect loop. Nothing against braided loops but why bother? 8T

Smile

Of course I'm kidding!

I had to ask because when I took it out of the box, I thought "My God, it's tiny. Just like real line, only smaller...What if I break it?" Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the loop nail knotted to the end of the line. It seems least likely to overwhelm and sink it!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

A better site than my original link for an animated perfection loop knot from your friend and mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TWk...eature=related

My humble opinion is that I use the speed nail knot here: http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots/

Good luck,

Rick

Edited to add a better video
    Last edited by Clay; 10-29-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Mine all have a piece of 25# Maxima with a loop on the end for leader attachment. I do not like braided loops on rods under 5 wt.

+ Reply to Thread