+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chuck and Duck/Hatchet Cast

Default Chuck and Duck/Hatchet Cast

I am interested in all kinds of techniques of fishing whether it be fly or not. I am not about to preach or judge whether or not this is fly fishing or not, I really don't care if it is or isn't. I am just curious about the methods and why they are used.

I am intrigued as to why you use fly gear for this type of fishing?

Does the shooting line float like a floating flyline? I don't recall in the article it mentioning it. If so I could see using fly gear for mending and line placement for drifts and swings after the cast.

If the shooting line sinks and there are no reasons for mends and after cast line placement why not use noodle rods and fine lines for ultralight spin gear.
    Last edited by Micropteris; 10-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.

People do use spinning gear with this technique.

A few reasons to use fly gear are:

It is easier to cast to a certain spot repeatedly with the fly gear because you don't need to reel in after every cast. Just strip and cast, the distance is already measured.

Some people just like fighting the fish with a fly rod and reel. As some people do use mono or amniseia type lines on the fly reels.

(main reason IMHO) In some states you could use this setup even in Flyfishing only sections of the river. In NY this law has just changed on the Salmon River. Now in the FF only sections, your line has to be able to carry the weight on your cast, not the weight carrying the line.

The running line does float. It is just a thin level fly line. It is used mostly with shooting head systems, but has some other uses such as this technique.

There is some controversy with this kind of setup as it can be very easy to "line" or "floss" fish. That is trying to get the weight on one side of the fish, and the hook on the other and floating the leader into the fishes mouth. At that point a sweeping hookset hooks the fish in the mouth making it legal to keep the fish. Basically it means snagging legally. When this technique is used with a minimun amount of weight and shorter leaders it is deadly for dead drifting nymphs and eggs. The longer the leader and the more weight is used, the greater the chance of snagging the bottom and hooking fish illegitamately.

I am gonig to try using the cast described with my normal right angle nymphing rig for trout in deeper water where casting is a pain in the butt. I think it should do very nicely especially with a longer rod.

Micro,

As Fly said, the main reason for using flyrods for this technique are,

1) Range is set by the length of line in your hand.

2) Running line is easier on the hands than mono. You can adjust length with your off hand and get a good feel for what is going on at the other end by holding the line. Light takes, bottom contact, whatever.

3) I like fighting big fish with a flyrod. Having either your hand on the line or your palm on the reel rim gives tremendous control over what you would have with a spinning reel.

I do not use this technique on salmon. Salmon on the redd seldom strike and are only intrested in he-ing and she-ing. They are very susceptable to foul hooking and even fair hooks are often flossed. As a matter of fact, I never fish salmon on the redd. I consider them snags that move. Fresh run can be a hoot before they get up on the gravel, though.

Steelhead on the other hand, will hit and hit hard. Especially the males hanging out below the redd.

This is a great technique to fish big browns hanging out below the redd to snatch up some salmon or steelhead eggs.

This is a controversial technique especially for some fly fishermen. One of my friends will not even fish a wet fly or a nymph on a fly rod. Everyone has their own way. Fish however you like as long as it is legal. I put this article in because I was afraid it would be lost someday and I just wanted to get it documented. It is a very effective technique and is used extensively on Western Michigan Great Lakes tributaries.

Godspeed and good fishing,

Bob
    Last edited by Bobinmich; 10-29-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Wait a minute now ...
    Isn't the "chuck and duck" cast the one you use in the little wood shanties, when you're ice fishing??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread