+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our National Anthem

Default Our National Anthem

Just now heard the most tortured version of our nations anthem as "performed" by Patti Labelle at the opening of game 4 of the World Series. There should be a law..............
    I really do not think there are "versions" to be interpreted as one deems necessary. Not only did she drag it out waaaay to long, her version was TERRIBLE.

Mark

What was that you said, oh wait, let take my ear plugs out. Yeah, that was a definite enthusiastic version of the anthem.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just now heard the most tortured version of our nations anthem as "performed" by Patti Labelle at the opening of game 4 of the World Series. There should be a law..............
    I really do not think there are "versions" to be interpreted as one deems necessary. Not only did she drag it out waaaay to long, her version was TERRIBLE.

Mark
    Mark,
    I wasn't watching it, thank God! I go BONKERS when I hear our National Anthem "styleized" by so called entertainers.
    Sing it the way it was written!!!
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Those who choose to improve our National Anthem by personal stylization set their own value above that of the treasure. It is what it is; anything else is not.

Blog Entries

Default bring on the children--or a good basso profundo!

the biggest round of applause for the Anthem all summer at Nationals Park was for a boy (of less than 12 years) who had a remarkable voice--and sang the song as if he meant it, not as if it were all about him. what a treat!

attending as many games as i do, i find that the best singers are the military folk from the various choruses that our services support, young people singly or in groups. and opera stars who seem not to bother to "interpret" the music and who just sing it really, really well.

the worst are rock stars, new and established. they seem to have to prove they can sing, and frequently they can't! what truly amazes me is how many of the folk around me simply cannot hear the problem...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

What, you never heard Roseann Barr's version of it? Ack.

However, in defense of singers all over the country, our national anthem is HARD to sing well. Very very few people can carry that tune. You try it sometime, tape yourself, and then listen to it.

"You might be a redneck if you think the last four words of the Star Spangled Banner are... 'Gentlemen, start your engines!'"

I agree with DG, Rosanne Barr, set the bar.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I don't like listening to "artists" who have to scale to make a song interesting, and I certainly don't want to hear that in our country's Anthem.
    To hear that song sung well, will set your heart on fire. "Stylized", it just makes me want to cry.

Kirk

Default National Anthem

Here is a story some of you may have read before. It's worth sharing again.

http://www.52best.com/star.asp

Jim

Sorry about the content: War, Politics, Religion and Flaming. It's all in the song.
    Last edited by jimsnarocks; 10-27-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: apology for content.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I'm with everyone on LaBelle's 'rendition' of the National Anthem...but, am I the only one who cried when that soldier sang God Bless America? Amazing voice.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread