+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod for Emily

Default Fly Rod for Emily

as most of ya know, i teach flytying twice a week and host a fishing trip every month for the class... well there is a little 8 year old girl that sits in with the class sometimes & is learning to tie a little on a spare vise that i set up on 1 side of my tying station since i dont have a spare desk... she & her family is not well off moneywise so i dont charge here a monthly fee for tying lessons... anyhow, she has asked a few times to go fishing with my class so her parents decided to let her go, not with the class but with me & my wife... i let her use a 5wt bamboo & after giving her some short basic casting lesson, she cought several breams, not big ones but she cought some & had fun doing it... we fished fer bout 1 1/2hrs & headed back home... i have started building her a fly rod of her own... she just dont know it yet... when it is finnished, it and some hand tied flies will be presented to her by the whole tying class & her parents will be there on that day... so far the blank is done... gona be a 2 peice 6 1/2ft bamboo 4/5wt medium-fast action, dickerson 6611 taper... pictures will be posted as i go along...

Rod blank done (not trimmed yet)
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...9/SNV30292.jpg
    Last edited by bugman; 12-11-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: add picture
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

That's a great thing you are doing for her. She will certainly cherish that rod. Who knows, she may be the next Joan Wulff.

Dave

Thumbs up

Too cool, Ivan, just TOO COOL !!
    The fish are always right.

I watch and help lot of kids fly fish and always go out of my way to help, you did good my friend in helping a young one for sure, and she will remember with the young mind..
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

Default For Emily, for bugman....

What can I say bugman...you make me want to go out and mentor....good on you friend.

Cheers for bugman,

MontanaMoose

It's an awesome feeling you get when you help someone who can't help themselves. Your payment will be the joy you see in that little girls face. God bless you.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Ivan,
    Your rewards for your wonderful deed will far surpass any expectations you may have. Pictured below is my 3 year old Granddaughter Tori with the first fish she caught on the 'boo "Uncle" Jack Hise built for her. That is me holding the 'gill. Does she look like a proud & happy little lady?
    BTW, I went out without her a while back & when I next saw her, she said.."You didn't fish with MY rod, did you Grandpa?"

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

hahaha... looks like somebody is havin fun fishin...

the blanks have been sanded & cut to length now... waiting on the line guides & reel seat to git here so i can start finnishing it up...

That is a great thing you are doing bugman. It is always nice to help someone else but it gives you a special feeling to help a child. I am proud of you for doing this. You will be rewarded in life in many ways for helping that little girl. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

+ Reply to Thread