+ Reply to Thread

Thread: School breaks......cont'd school activities

Default School breaks......cont'd school activities

We just got finished with our school "Fall Break". Now I feel a BREAK is just that. I feel children need to get away from school and school activities and recharge their batteries.
    Yet during our "break" our chilren had:
    -One soccer game(district playoff which is probably unavoidable)
    -3 soccer practices
    -2 school play practices!!(the play isn't until ..........FEBRUARY!!). And, of course the play coordinator has 2 small kids not in school yet.

Now I realize I could just not have my child be active in such things and we'd be able to avoid this. But we want our kids to be exposed to more than just school. Is this the price we should pay for such?

I think things could be scheduled better and things like a school play practice be put off and even soccer pratice be put off during breaks.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I agree. I'm a teacher and there comes a time when a break is definately needed for the students and for the teachers. We haven't had a break since Labor day, and kids and teachers are getting a little burned out. Thanks goodness Veterans day is coming up and we get a 4 day weekend for that. I also wish people would give kids time off when they can. Kids need time to play and be.

I remember when I was a kid (or at least I think I still do?)... we NEVER had extracurricular activities scheduled on weekends. Weekends were sacred, and time was spent with families.

For my kids, there are practices, games, rehearsals, performances...LOTS of things on weekends, just like any other day of the week. It certainly puts a damper on short family vacations and going to visit relatives on weekends who live more than a few hours away.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread