+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fiberglass Build

Default New Fiberglass Build

For those that don't know, I'm starting to build a new Lamiglas 7 1/2 foot, 3 piece, 4 weight. First, I made sure that the oversized bore on the REC Cap & Ring, Amboyna Burl reel seat fit all the way to the end of the butt section.
    Oversized because fiberglass blanks are bigger around than graphite blanks. They custom bored the seat to .438 and it fit the .440 blank very well.

Next I went really slow and hand bored the Fenwick style grip with a rat tail file. I shortened the grip with a razor blade and sanded it flush and perpendicular to the rod axis so that the cork check would fit and it wouldn't be "overhandled" for a 4 weight. If you go slow enough a rat tail file works fine. You don't want to get the grip too loose because that would be a BAD thing.

Then I assembled all the parts with a 50 minute epoxy from Lowe's Hardware. Just in case there was some ooze of the epoxy, I used blue painter's tape to hold the ring in the center of the wood filler. That way I can avoid gluing the ring to one end or the other. Ooze can always be cleaned later with a sharp knife or razor blade.

I have to say that after assembling these components that the REC Amboyna Burl reel seat matches the honey color of the Lamiglas blank perfectly. I'll decide on guide wrap colors later.

Thanks for looking! I'm really happy with it so far.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thumbs up

Joe -

Looks great. Can't wait to see some more pics as you go along.

Curious why you chose the Lamiglas ?? Don't know anything about them, so any comments you make about how you came to that decision / choice would be much appreciated, especially since I am just finishing up my rod wrapping stand and starting to think about the next rod I'm going to build.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,
    I went with the Lamiglas blank for a few reasons. On the fiberglassflyrodders forum there is lots of discussion about them and I've not heard anything bad. I'm looking at fiberglass because I want something that has the "Old Fashioned" feel to the casting stroke. Or to put it another way, I want the bamboo feel at a fiberglass price. When I was into archery I favored the English Longbow. When I was into muzzleloading I favored the Kentucky Longrifle in flintlock. It's taken me a long time to figure it out but I guess I'm a "Retro" kind of person. Nothin' wrong with the old days! I'm also really starting to like the 7 1/2 foot rods for their versatility. And, the 3 or 4 piece for their ease of packing.
    Is that what you're looking for? If so, I'm glad to help.
    Later my friend,
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

My father built me a Lamiglas 4wt in 1972
    My first "good" fly rod and still one of my favorites
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Talking

Joe- This build is looking real good. Been a long time since I used a glass rod, but I understand your reasons for building one. Lamiglas has been around a long time and make some nice blanks. Keep us posted on the progress..........Ed

Joe,I built the 8' 5 wt. multi piece Lamiglas glass rod a few years ago. You will love the action on this rod. Think modern engineering meets old school style.
    BTW,
    I put that grip in the mail today.
    Last edited by cheffy; 10-22-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Update;
    Chestnut colored wraps with black tipping.

I really starting to like this rod.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thumbs up

That's a great color combination on the wraps, Joe. One nice piece of fishing equipment.

Thanks for the rationale on the Lamiglas. Not having cast either bamboo or glass, it's a bit hard to relate to it. Maybe I'll get the chance one of these days, and I would need to do that before deciding to build one.
    The fish are always right.

Thumbs up

Joe,

Nice work! Keep it up and take your time....Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

joe that is going to be one sweet rod. i love the wraps!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread