+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stupid Economy

Angry Stupid Economy

In May '08 I was thrilled to hear of a new sporting goods store opening in nearby Victorville, CA. Sportsman's Warehouse was going to be the place to shop for things I need. Hands on shopping for hooks, fur and feathers. Thread, chenille and flashaboo. Not to mention fly fishing gifts for my grandsons who want to fish like I do. I do buy a lot of things online but really, I like to look at and feel what I'm getting ready to spend my hard earned retirement money on.
    They opened in June and I was there like the lady in the Mervin's commercial. Open, Open, Open. Go early, stay long and shop, shop, shop. Pretty good prices and conveniently close. Prior to their opening I had to drive 75 to 150 miles one way to a sporting goods store of that caliber.
    Last week I got an email from my friend with a link to a newspaper article about the store. They were closing their doors on Wednesday, Oct. 15 at noon! Out of business! Finished! No "Going out of business" sale. No half off all stock. Nope, just closing. 80 people out of work. Meanwhile the chain is closing 2 more stores elsewhere and opening 3 new stores in other places.
    I went there the same day I got the email to do some last minute shopping and to express my dismay to anyone who would listen. Turns out I was preaching to the choir. No one else wanted the place to close. The employees certainly didn't nor the other last minute shoppers. It turns out the economy is to blame.This isn't a Mom n Pop store but a large chain. I can just imagine what the small stores are going through. From now on I'm only shopping at FAOL sponsors. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim;
    We saw this happen, right here on the coast, with a large "chain store", for building materials and hardware.
    Seems the "suits" did their "geographic study" okay, but not their "demographic study" nearly as well.
    People flocked to this new store, we had, like ants to sugar, when it first opened too. Like you, they hit the store in say, "June", but then were surprised that it closed its doors 5 months later.
    Many reasons, as to "why" they closed, to be sure. But, one of the biggest reasons, was because no one shopped this store faithfully, for the 5 month span it was open.
    Those that shopped heavily, when the store first opened, did not continue to support the store, the next month, the month after that and the month after that.

"The LOCATION, (the geographic), was great; lots of population with disposable income. But, there simply was not enough of this population with disposable income, that were currently in need of this store's type of merchandise! (demographics).

It happens. It's why your store is "closing yours" and yet "still opening new stores in new locations"!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've heard similar rumors about the Sportsman's Warehouse here, too. Supposedly, it will be closing its doors in January 2009.

I'm pretending that it won't happen, because they've got good prices (sometimes REALLY GOOD prices!), and the best fly fishing/tying department around.

There's a new Bass Pro Shops being built within about 10 miles of that store, so I'm hoping I will be able to find the materials and products I want there. But I will certainly miss Sportsman's if it closes here.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

We got a Sportsman's Warehouse here in Skagit Valley. I guess it is alright. I only go there when I have to have something right now. If it is something fishing related and I can wait to buy it I do those purchases at a fly shop about 50 miles away in the big city. I like the guy that owns the shop and their quality/selection is much better. If I know what I want, I can call them and they will ship it to me. If it is gun related I visit a locally owned dedicated gun shop about 5 miles away from my house. Camping gear and other outdoor equipment I shop around for if and I can't find it in a locally owned store I might get it from Sportsman's.

We have had three local Fly shops close their doors. The biggest reason was probably a customer base of people like me. I have so much stuff to tie flies with, that I have to force myself to find something when I visit the local shops when traveling. I have wading boots, waders, plenty of rods, reels, and lines. Me buying Pearsall's silk and Danville's thread won't keep a local fly shop open. They need the new customers that need all the equipment that goes along with being a newby, the big ticket items, and there aren't enough of them to go around.

If sales drop in one area, large stores like Sportsmans may be able to afford to simply close a store that is underperforming and go to where there is a need. Could be that's why there was no "Going Out of Business" sale. Probably just moving the inventory to another store. Big box stores aren't known for rewarding customer loyalty.
    Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk; 10-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Just take yourself down the hill to Marriots. Sure, its a bit of a drive but O'baby. Don't forget your drool cloth.
    http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com
    Gary

Not only that, we know Bob and he was a supporting sponsor for a few years. Say hi for us.

Smile Marriotts

Gary, Thanks but that is a 110+ mile, one and a half hour drive one way in L Alien traffic for me. In better times, (I was younger) I went there for casting seminars and tent sales events, but gas was about $1.00 a gallon in SoCal then. Now I only drive towards fishing spots when the trip is that long. There are stores in Big Bear, Rancho Cucamonga (Yes, Bugs, that's a town) and San Bernardino, all of which are closer, that sell what I need. I don't even like driving to those places if I don't have to. Except maybe Big Bear where I can fish. But thanks for the web link to their store. I can still shop online. And you are right. Bob Marriot is a nice guy and that is a swell store. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

It may have nothing to do with "the economy" and everythng to do with bad business decisions.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread