+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you change your backing?

Default Do you change your backing?

Hi All,

I started fly fishing in 2001 . . I have since collected about 13 reels with a few additional spools . . . The oldest lines are finally being replaced. I have dacron on the lighter weight line/reels and gelspun on the larger stuff (6 wt and above) to get greater capacity in case I ever need it.

How long does backing last?

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Long time properly cared for. I've never changed mine except on a reel where it become moldy (not sure it mattered, just bothered me).

Of course I rarely see my backing. If I were to fish salt, I'd probably have a different attitude,.

I change my backing every 5 years.

Normand Guest

i have some ross gunnison reels that i bought in the 80's with the original backing spooled on (while i lived in colorado) and hasnt been change yet.

I have never changed mine and some of my reels go back to 1995. I have thought of doing it, but haven't worried about it because I don't leave my reels in the heat of a car or exposed to sunlight unless fishing....

Just my opinion, your mileage may (and probably will) vary.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Haven't changed it since the reels were purchased ... some in 1984. Periodically I clean the line and redo the knot after cutting a foot off.

I've never had a big fish get me near the backing ... I make plenty of mistakes but playing them too gentle is not one of them.
    Streamkeeper IS a Streamkeeper --
    http://www.clallam.net/streamkeepers/

Backing? I have backing? What does it look like?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Backing? I have backing? What does it look like?

Bob
    String

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Wink Not yet!

Hi Wayne,

When I got back into fly fishing, I purchased new rods and reels at that time. I seldom go far down into the backing even with LMB, stripers and hybrids. Periodically, I peel it all line and backing off the reel, check knots and give the backing a couple of heavy test pulls and stretches. So far, it seems fine. Now if I were going for bonefish........

BTW, I restarted serious fly fishing in 2001 so our stuff is right about the same age. Mine's fine and yours should be too. 8T

+ Reply to Thread