+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Q on differences

Default Another Q on differences

When I posted the 'Can you tell the Difference/Rods/Blindfolded' Post ,there seemed to be more Prefferences stated than answers to the post. Sooooo I continue it with this:

Do those that tend to prefer inexpensive rods also tie flies on inexpensive vises? Does this also carry over to your choice of vehicle?
    If as many of you stated,'It is the caster, not the rod' or 'No rod is worth that much', wouldn't it also be the same for vise and vehicle / tyer and driver?
    After all, most any vise free of defects will hold a hook and rotate now a days and most any vehicle, free of defects, can get you to a trout stream...

This also should be turned around.
    Do those who tend to prefer expensive rods...go the same way with vise and vehicle?

I tend to be a bit thrifty, aw heck, I'm just a cheapskate. But- I have found that sometimes you have to spend a few dollars more, to get your moneys worth.
    AgMD

nighthawk Guest

While I may not buy the highest priced item, I do not buy the cheapest either. By the time you replace the cheap gear/vehicle two or three times you could have bought a better, more reliable product. Just my opinion.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

It's a great day for fly fishing!

My 8 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee has 188K miles and it's been free and clear for many years...thus allowing me to buy more fly rods instead of making a car payment. If I can get to 200K miles...

And, my flies are free...I steal them from my hubby's bench. He has a Renzetti and an old vise that was hand-made and a gift. He uses both.

Who cares? Fish with what you want. You only live once and if it makes you happy that's all that matters.

Mantis;
    Although I love fly fishing passionately,having done it since my college days in the 60's at U of WYO ( GO POKES) it occupies such a small part of my totality that no inferences can be drawn from my reaction to or with it.I simply have a very practical approach. I concentrate on where I fish and what I catch much more than what I catch it with. I have certain priorities and balance everything so that I don't feel I deny myself or my family any of our needs. I am also an audiophile and spend money on the better sound equipment. I enjoy fine automobiles but choose to restore older BMW's ( 6 series in particular)instead of buying the new expensive versions.For the sake of my childrens education I live in the best area I could afford and then some. I feel that I live a good life within the means I have provided for myself and my family. Am I a tightwad, cheapskate or other such, I think not. But It'll be a cold day over there before I can justify to myself the worth of a $600+ fishing pole.
    BTW: If I could afford it, I would buy a Strad in a heartbeat but THAT would be a SMART investment a TOTALLY different issue.

Tis topic is a "roll your own" kinda thing and nobody will be convinced to see the "light" produced by the other side.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

mantis,

I don't think those are valid comparisons.

Allan

I have cheap, medium and expensive rods. I prefer the expensive - hands down.

Don't tie enough to justify a "good" vice. I need only a cheap one to tie up a few easy saltwater patterns.

Drive a Volvo XC 90. Company car. Sweet. I love free cars that include free insurance. If I could only figure out a way to get a monthly fly rod allowance....I do however get to write off guided fishing now and again which is nice. I purposly seek out cleints who like to fish.

"Tis topic is a "roll your own" kinda thing and nobody will be convinced to see the "light" produced by the other side."

Mark,
    No one is supposed to convince anyone of anything in this post or turn them to the other side. Just a simple question for both high enders and low enders. Or mix and matchers. Really, it is not a trick question.
    BMWs, even old ones, aren't exactly scraping the barrel bottom...you keep any of them?
    You can get that violin if you really want it..(If that is what you are refering to, or as an acronym for other item of value. There will always be easy excuses why not.. You just have to want it bad enough.
    Certainly a good investment. If you had bought it years ago all you mention would be no problem now. JC will lend you the money for a percentage.

And Ladyfish...
    So your high end vehicle was worth the price..8 yrears and many miles, great!...and the Renzetti ,a high end vise is still being used and is evidently still servicable, great ! Must have been worth the cost...The gift vise was a gift, not something you bought, a non issue in answering the post questions.
    "who cares"? ? you wrote...I think you read more into the post question than was there. It was just a simple question, really,...which you answered.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 25 October 2005).]

Allan, Why not...Can't you tie flies on an inexpensive vise just as well as you can catch fish on an inexpensive rod. Same with a vehicle. and visa versa . All these
    items are over priced .. Some are smoother or better looking than others but all perform the same basic functions...Totaly legit.

mantis,

Because it depends on what you can afford. I can afford and have high end vises. That is if you consider the Traveler, the Regal Bronze, the Universal and the Thompson 'A'(these last 2 were high end at the time). I can afford high end materials, tools, hooks(although I prefer the Mustads). The decisions I make regarding my vehicles are borne out of necessity, value and ability to afford ... not prefer. My decisions regarding rods, reels and some other fly fishing equipment are also based on those three qualifiers. I don't really know if I'd prefer a high end rod like Sage, T & T, etc. because they are either beyond my means or not worth the price so I tend not to bother looking. About 6-7 years ago I bought a Loomis GLX that may have been the highest priced rod at the time. Did not like it for my needs and sold it.

There are a lot of things I prefer over things that I have. However, I am a realist.

"When you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." Crosby, Stills & Nash

"No, you can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    And if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need." Rolling Stones

Allan

+ Reply to Thread