+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: source for ratten ?

Default source for ratten ?

if anyone has any info on a source to get ratten (wicker) for wrapping grips i would appreciate the help. thank you.

Default Rattan sources

Hello ben, I know there are other sources for rattan, wicker, rush etc. but I'd give these folks a shout.

http://www.vandykes.com/

In the search I typed: RATTAN FLAT OVAL REED 3/16" and found what I believe you're lookin' for.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 10-13-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Might be better?

Default thanks for the help!

hey montanamoose,thank you for your help. that was exactly what i was looking for. i just orderd 370 feet for $8.00. so if you need any let me know i would be happy to share. and if anyone has any tips on the best technique and glue to use for wraping cork grips , i would be grateful.
    thank you.

Default Glue for rattan...

You're welcome ben, I'm glad that worked out for you...Van Dykes may well have tutorials for gluing rattan to wood...and I'd just about bet they have the glue too.

I have plenty of flat oval rattan here, but thanks for your generous offer. Just let me see some pics of your first rattan wrapped grip and I'll be happy !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

P.S. This company says to call with
    questions, so they might be able
    to help with the glue and prep stuff.

http://acaneandwickerfixer.com/
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 10-14-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Thought of something else ?

No one's going to ask? You mean I'm going to have to do it? Oh, OK ...

Ben,
    Where did you get the idea to wrap rattan around something to make a grip? What do you wrap it around? Do you have to seal it with something special to protect it? Does it hold up as well as cork? Do you have something to show us as to what it (will) look like when completed? Thank you ...
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default hello betty,

if you go to mudhole.com they sell rattan wrapped cork grips. not quite what i was looking for but still nice ( i want the cigar grip). so i thought i would make my own.yes i asume i will have to seal them but im not sure with what. the end result i hope to achive is a more classic look and in the process get away with using a lower grade cork. wish me luck. any ideas on sealers would be appreciated. thank you.

use a single strand of silk thread between the wraps of rattan, then seal w/ spar varnish or a polyurathane.

Default thanks for the tip.

hello Mike , thank you for the tip. what is the purpose of the silk thread? is it just for looks or to fill any gaps between the rattan? also i checked out your web site and it is awsome! it is a lamiglass blank that got me looking for this style of grip in the first place. in your photos of the 4wt i am guessing you used silk wraps? it looks great!

The silk fills and sets off the rattan. Tradition was to use red silk, but use whatever color compliments your wrap color.You can also flame the rattan for more contrast ,then wrap the silk.Thanks for the compliments on my site.Yes I used white silk for the transparent wraps.

Default finished rattan grip

Here are some pics of the finished grips. Thank you to those who shared their advice. I basically followed boarmountain's instructions (thanks).

If it is a look you like I have found it is less expensive in the long run (ie I purchased a 100 pieces of 1/2 inch cork and hank of rattan for less than $60, result 6 grips!). A little more elbow grease, but worth it.
    Thanks again...
    Ben

+ Reply to Thread