+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Tying ?

I have Al & Gretchen's book and recommend it....having said that IMHO there are a lot of things in fly tying that lend themselves to DVD viewing...and I think rotary tying is especially appreciated when you can see it on DVD.

Al's stuff is great...did I say I tie on two of the Danvise's...{in the spirit of disclosure}.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I have Al & Gretchen's book and recommend it....having said that IMHO there are a lot of things in fly tying that lend themselves to DVD viewing...and I think rotary tying is especially appreciated when you can see it on DVD.

Al's stuff is great...did I say I tie on two of the Danvise's...{in the spirit of disclosure}.
    I am getting the book, signed from Al . .

-wayne

I have a Danvise and a Peak rotary vise and like them both. I also invested in a couple of DVDs. One called Rotary Tying Techniques with Al Beatty and another one from Mike Holt called Rotary Fly Tying techniques. Of the two, I prefer the Mike Holt DVD which has better camera angles and to me is more professionally done. http://www.flyfishingmainerivers.com...keholt/dvd.htm

I still think that the Al Beatty DVD is worth every penny and would buy it again. I hoping that Al will come out with another DVD to match the new book and have someone professionally shoot the great info that he can teach to all of us.

Al Beatty's new book is on my wish list and I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Without spending any money you can do some youtube seaches, here is one such search: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Have fun, but remember if you always tie like you always use to tie, you will get the same results that you use to get. Keep working those rotary techniques until they become second nature. I know that I have a lot to learn.

Rick

Al and Gretchen's book is a 'must have' for anyone that wants to maximize the potential of their rotary vise.

I've had a ball playing with the techniques that they show, and I've seriously improved my tying skills. Faster, simpler, better looking, stronger flies.

You got to get this book.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I started with Al Beatty's Rotary Tying Techniques DVD and then his book. I found them tho be very helpful and would recommend them both.

Bill

Another Mike Holt fan. This is a great site for learning rotary techniques. Right now he has 98 patterns all tied with full use of a rotary vise. I subscribe.
    http://rotaryflytying.com/

rotary vise makes it easier to get more uniform bodies on trout flies as well as wraping on ribs for salmon flies... also allows for tying on top & bottom of a fly without having to unchuck the hook....
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up for Al and Gretchen Beatty's new book, its also been reviewed in the latest issue of Fly Tyer mag. I have the Dan vise as well, great vise...
    Quick tip on the Dan vise, don't over tighten the jaws on the hook, soft tips...

Just a quick thought. A half century is a long time to think back to remember what best increased my tying ability, but this one is easy...good, small diameter tying thread.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Celltech View Post
    I started with Al Beatty's Rotary Tying Techniques DVD and then his book. I found them tho be very helpful and would recommend them both.

Bill
    I went the same route as Celltech and I could not be happier with the results I obtained in watching the Beatty's video and reading their book.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread