+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who uses a Nor-Vise ??

If you're still not sure, keep in mind that Norm offers a 30 day money back guarantee with his Nor-Vise. That way you would be able to try the vise and return it if you don't like it. I suspect he gets VERY few returns.

Again, I have no affiliation with Norm or his products, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Jim Smith

I can't decide.

I am considering

1) either a Renzetti Traveler or possibly the Presentation 2000. But leaning towards the traveler

or

2) The Nor-Vise

The Nor-Vise is enough different to make it seem a bit strange. I have asked Renzetti users if they have seen it and they bad mouth it. . . . I am a bit more open minded and have watched all of Norm's video more than once. It looks like it would be great after watching the demos. I tie a lot of Arkansas Trout flies. Midges, Scuds, Sowbugs, PT's, Copper Johns, Lightening Bugs, Caddis. Come Dry Flys but not a lot. I also tie for White Bass (Clousers), Smallmouth, (more clousers) and other things. Barr's Meat Whistle, Crawdad patterns etc. Some things won't work well rotary but a lot will.

I have read every review I could find on the net concerning the Nor-Vise. Also a lot of people like them on this board.

There is a shop about 3 hours from here that I go to when I go fishing on the White River, that has one set up in the shop. I may plan a fishing trip soon to go test drive the Nor-Vise. There is a guy in house that they say is pretty good with it, and he ties for the same river system I do.

There is also the other costs. The travel pack, the light that attached to the thread post. The magnifier . . . the list goes on. But I need a light and magnifier no matter what so that's not a problem.

I think I am going to get a Ekich Bobbin regardless. If I end up with the Nor-Vise, I can use it and wont have to re-spool everything onto the custom spools.

I also am getting Beatty's Rotary Book. I'll read it some before I decide. My HMH isn't broken . .

-wayne

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    If you're still not sure, keep in mind that Norm offers a 30 day money back guarantee with his Nor-Vise. That way you would be able to try the vise and return it if you don't like it. I suspect he gets VERY few returns.

Again, I have no affiliation with Norm or his products, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by waynep; 10-07-2008 at 06:20 PM.

The test drive is the best way to find out if you'll like it or not. I would never bad mouth the Nor-Vise because it's a well built machine. It's just not for me, and anyone who bad mouths it doesn't know what they are talking about. Some guys will bad mouth something if THEY can't afford to own one for themselves, and at $295 it's out of reach for some folks.

Hope you get to try it real soon. It sounds to me like you're going to own it anyway, but you just need a few more people to tell you it's the right choice for you.I do like the money back guarantee. I've met Norm at the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo a couple of times, and he's a great guy to talk to.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

With any product there are people who like it and people who don't. I have all the conversions for my vice and multiple set ups of the fine point as Norm modified a damaged set to be finer, included a new pair for free, and I recently purchased a new one as a back up.

One thing I disagree with is that it isn't as versatile as other vices.... it holds a hook, what else does it need to do? With the new adjustable set up you can rotate the vise now to view the fly head on etc..., the conversions cover all hook sizes and tube flies, you can get a light that mounts directly to the post, a gallows tool that mounts to the vise, set rotation stops every 90?, manual locking at any rotation point, adjustable tension on rotation, dubbing tray for making dubbing brushes. Yes, it all adds up to what some consider a lot of $$ but if you enjoy tying it's worth it. And honestly, how many of us have more money vested in our vises than we do materials...

Also, honestly, I don't see why people even use standard bobbins anymore.... Maintaining tension and thread control is so much easier with an automatic bobbin. I can't even tie with standard bobbins anymore as winding thread back up is so foreign now and re-spooling thread isn't a big deal to me.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    And honestly, how many of us have more money vested in our vises than we do materials....
    i for one have quite a bit more invested in my tying materials (just in hackles alone) than in a vise and i use the early model renzetti traveler that was upgraded with the cam jaws many many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    Also, honestly, I don't see why people even use standard bobbins anymore.... Maintaining tension and thread control is so much easier with an automatic bobbin. I can't even tie with standard bobbins anymore as winding thread back up is so foreign now and re-spooling thread isn't a big deal to me.
    i tie with a tiemco ceramic tipped bobbin and only tie with about a 1/2-3/4 of an inch of tying thread betewwen the hook and the tip of the bobbin so an automatic bobbin is a moot point.

all in all it all boils down to a matter of personal preference

I can see the auto-bobbin point. I hate winding the thread back up after putting the bobbin over the cradle to get it out of the way. Take is off the cradle and I have to wind it back up. Not all flies but a lot. I just ordered an Ekich Bobbin. So we'll see how that goes when I get it.

Waynep
    Have had my Nor-Vise for a few years and have tied everything from size 30 midges up too
    3/0 full dress atlantics , Chipped a set off jaws at the flyfishing show last year norm was there said my set-up was too old and replaced it free of charge with a whole new assembly
    also replaced a bobbin for free!I use the automatic bobbins for home tying And picked up a ekich bobbin for travel and shows [a little faster on the thread change!]
    G

HI Normand,

Thanks for chiming in. I was thinking the same way about my capes and saddles too. For me, spending a fair amount of money on a vise was moot since my material costs add up to way much more than my vise or vises ever will. I just hate when people start arguing costs, especially when the amounts between these vises is minimal when spread out over the years of use and compared to costs of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i tie with a tiemco ceramic tipped bobbin and only tie with about a 1/2-3/4 of an inch of tying thread betewwen the hook and the tip of the bobbin so an automatic bobbin is a moot point.
    Do you whip finish Normand? That is when I wished that I had an auto matic bobbin. Also any time I hang my bobbin on the bobbin craddle while I use my rotary as a rotary instead of just a vise to look at the opposite side of the fly.

I have a lot to learn as far as techniques go. I do see some hanging the bobbin on the craddle in a precarious way so as to not pull out much thread.

The reason that I don't use automatics is that they cost too much since I like to have a number of bobbins already set up with various threads instead of changing thread on one or two bobbins all of the time.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread