+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any of you get Midwest Flyfishing Magazine?

hutjensmpg Guest

I've been getting it for a few years and I really like it. I think it's something like 6 or 7 issues a year, which makes the per issue cost a little pricey, but there is quite a bit in each issue. There is a regular tactics column by Gary Borger, a regular entomology one and good features on both trout and warm water species, along with the requisite fly tying column.

Default Midwest Fly Fishing magazine

Hi,

First, right up front, I write for Midwest Fly Fishing quite often, so I may be just a little biased, grin... but I do think the other articles, at least, are some of the best around. Before I was even involved, I read every issue, starting with Tom Helgeson's always insightful and well written column, wishing I could someday have half the talent. Muskies to trout, conservation to gear, history to what's coming, its there.

But this isn't the same as the magazines that have a different set for each region - those are glossies by another group. This one is on newsprint (don't let that fool you - the quality is tops).

Midwest Fly Fishing / Helgeson sponsors the Great Waters Expos in Chicago in February and in Minneapolis in March, too.

Kat

and sponsors FAOL too,,, has for years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Scott View Post
    Hi,

First, right up front, I write for Midwest Fly Fishing quite often, so I may be just a little biased, grin... but I do think the other articles, at least, are some of the best around. Before I was even involved, I read every issue, starting with Tom Helgeson's always insightful and well written column, wishing I could someday have half the talent. Muskies to trout, conservation to gear, history to what's coming, its there.

But this isn't the same as the magazines that have a different set for each region - those are glossies by another group. This one is on newsprint (don't let that fool you - the quality is tops).

Midwest Fly Fishing / Helgeson sponsors the Great Waters Expos in Chicago in February and in Minneapolis in March, too.

Kat
    Kathy, I have every confidence that your writing is top notch. I bought "Headwaters Fall as Snow" at the MI Fish-In and you were good enough to sign it for me. I have read all of it except the last chapter, which I'm saving. I know that when I read the last chapter that I shall have finished your book. It really is that good.
    Thanks for writing such a fine book and thanks for signing it for me. I had the chance to meet both you and your sister last summer. Both of you are super folks. I wish you and your family all the best.

Ed

Thanks for asking, never knew about it...going to the top of my Christmas list.

Tim Holschlag edits the warm water section....I consider him to be a bit of a Smallmouth Sage...so obviously, I am swayed.

Blog Entries

Default October edition

It came in the mail today.
    Beautiful steelhead gracing the cover.
    Len Harris
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    I'll be nice...............
    Is "winter" that cool, cloudy period between droughts?

Ed

+ Reply to Thread