+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Tying ?

Default Rotary Tying ?

I have searched google looking for Rotary tying tips, practices. I have not had much luck. Most of what I have found is referencing the book about Rotary Tying. I also found a membership site. I am asking in another thread about the Nor-Vise and am trying to find information about Rotary tying in general. Norm's videos are fascinating to watch, seeing how much faster some things are capable of being done.

Can you apply dubbing to a thread using a rotary vise like Norm show being done on the Nor-Vise?

How about sharing some rotary tips that you know of? Maybe other could learn also?

I am going to see if our local Barnes & Nobel/Borders has the book this afternoon . . .

-wayne

Normand Guest

Cool Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques

new book by Al and Gretchen Beatty. How did you miss the teriffic review of it here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/042108.php

Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    Can you apply dubbing to a thread using a rotary vise like Norm show being done on the Nor-Vise?
    Addressing this question at least, the Norvise is pretty unique in that it is set up to spin smoothly and for a lengthy period of time allowing the tier to do the tricks Norm demostrates. I've heard the Dyna-King Sidewider had a similiar ability (no longer in production), but that's the only other vise that I know of with a similiar ability. Most rotary vises do not rotate as easily, and most tiers who use rotary vises dub the same way you would with a non-rotary vise.

That being said, while the Norvise is fun to watch and an interesting break from conventional designs, I've never found a compelling reason to change to one. I know several great tiers who swear by them, but they are a vocal minority at best.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    new book by Al and Gretchen Beatty. How did you miss the teriffic review of it here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/042108.php
    I knew they had a book out . . . Just went to B&N and Borders to see if they had it in stock, they did not . . . I had not read the review. I'll do that and probably order one . .

Thanks!

One thing, I have yet to find an easier way of wrapping a dubbing loop. In other words, for me it is the only way I can wrap a dubbing loop.
    I use one of the dubbing loop tools that looks like the letter "M" or "W" which ever way you look at it, and if I try to lift to wrap, it will slide off the tool.
    So, spinning the hook is the only way.
    A side note, I always knot or tie down my loop before adding dubbing and winding. Just something for those who have not used a dubbing loop before.

FG...I have seen folks ..and done so myself...switch over to say a shepard's crook type dubbing tool when using a 'W" type...certainly an extra step...so I'm with you...it's much easier to wrap a loop with rotary...even if you start with a shepard's crook.

The vise doesn't tie the fly.

The vise is no more than a tool. The norvise is spinning vise which sets it apart from the other rotaries, making it useful to create dubbing threads, herl threads, and consistent tight wraps (important in tinsel, floss, and hackle bodies) quickly and easily. You can lock the vise down and it's just another standard vise.

Again, it's only a tool, but a well made, designed, and supported tool.

Hi Wayne,

You can get a signed copy from Gretchen and me. Email is:
    albeatty2@aol.com

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi Waynep;
    I purchased the Danvise about a year ago and I couldn't be happier with it! My tying abilities have improved greatly due to it. It comes with a DVD made by Al Beatty and it was so good I purchased his rotary tying techniques DVD to boot! And then you have his article in Hatches magazine about dubbing, really helped my with what was a previously frustrating process.

Al & Gretchen's book is definetly on my xmas list!

Al & Gretchen really are good at teaching/explaining tying techniques. It's as though they are teaching something they just learned themselves. All those little steps that evade you they seem to know.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of their publications.

Wayneb

+ Reply to Thread