+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackle for mini-buggers?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Hackle for mini-buggers?

Hello Folks,

I've always had great luck with mini-buggers in both warm and cold water. It's time for me to restock a couple of very empty rows in various fly boxes. My problem with mini-bugger is finding hackle that is webby enough, long enough to complete the fly, and small enough to use for sizes #12 and #14. I've sometimes even had to resort using dry fly saddle hackle which, of course, fails in the webby, good motion in the water category. I've never been very happy with the two or three feather method because the results look so darn ragged. All suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. 8T

Eight Thumbs,
    I tied size 12 buggers with saddle hackle only.
    Here is a Quote; "The hackle used should also be of the highest quality, flexible and not prone to break anywhere along its length when wound very tightly. Saddles are usually the best, but even inferior saddles can have brittle hackles, especially ones that were improperly or cheaply bleached and dyed or came from chickens who didn't know their role in the proper construction of the perfect woolly bugger."
    Doug P.S. You have a PM.
    Last edited by DShock; 10-04-2008 at 01:43 PM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

8T: Ever try an Emu feather or an Ostrich plume?

Tim

8T,

Give Denny at Conranch Hackle a call,(509) 999-7472.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi 8T,

I usually use Chinese Neck hackles for WBs. However, on the saddle capes I have, layered behind the feathers that are good for dries are feathers that are all web. I often use these for soft hackles on 12s and 14s and they are perfect for that size. If you buy your saddles in capes, then check them.

- Jeff

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I want to thank everyone who offered their advice on hackle. I will probably try all the suggestions except the one that would give me a feather perfectly suited for size #14 mini-buggers----call Denny. I just promised my wife that I wouldn't buy any more fly tying material for the next couple of months if she would go easy on her Macy's credit card. I'd love to give Denny a call but unfortunately I am a man of his word. But if I could get someone else to call ............ No that would be wrong! I think I will definitely try some emu and my old Chinese necks and saddles. Thanks again for your help. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 10-05-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I just promised my wife that I wouldn't buy any more fly tying material for the next couple of months if she would go easy on her Macy's credit card. I'd love to give Denny a call but unfortunately I am a man of his word.
    All fishermen are born honest, but they soon get over it. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Whiting works for me...

I like the Whiting hen (not rooster) saddle hackle. It is longer than others I have (such as Conranch hen saddle hackle) and has a long sweet spot. Seems to be about perfect for the sizes you mentioned. If you want real subtle hackling, strip off one side before wrapping. It tip tie at the rear of the hook and wrap forward.

Peter F.

Hi 8T,

Last Friday I had the same problem while replacing flies in Gretchen's/my fly boxes and ended up using hen cap feathers. As you already know, they were much too short so I ended up placing palmered hackle over the front half of the body only. This past weekend we didn't find any fish that seemed to care one bit that the Bugger's body only had hackle on the front half. You might try it and see if it works for you. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Here is an image of a Bi-Bugger; http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/imag...-bi-bugger.jpg
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread