+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake of the Ozarks Fly Fishing?

Default Lake of the Ozarks Fly Fishing?

Hey folks,
    At the end of the month I have to go to a confrence in Osage Beach. I HATE these things, and intend to attend only long enough to be seen and counted. The hotel is right on the lake, so what I need to know is can I fish from shore? Is there any place that would be better than others? Would I be better off running over to the river and fishing there? Or in the park.
    Or is there some place else that I should go instead?

I am pretty sure that I'm not up for renting a boat, and certain that I won't do the guide thing. But I haven't done any fishing for a while, and I really don't want to sit and listen to the same old windbags - whining about the same old stuff.

Any and all suggestions and advice will be appreaciated.

Thanks bunches,
    Ed

Default Bennett Spring State Park

Bennett Spring State park is just a short drive away from the lake. It is a stocked park and if you are there during the week you will have a pretty good run of the place. Zone 1 and 2 or best and are fly and artificial lure only. Not sure where you will be staying and LOZ is a huge lake covering a good size area. Bennett Spring is off highway 64 just north of Lebanon MO. You will need to purchase a daily tag and a fishing lic. for what ever time you will be there. You can buy a 1 or 3 day lic. if you choose.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Default MO Fishing

Depends on when you get here...The trout parks close for a week or two at the end of October then they reopen for winter C&R season.

If you would like something a bit more challenging there are several streams that hold some wild rainbow trout near Rolla, MO....Little Piney, Mill Creek, Spring Creek..great fishing on the Current R near Licking MO. fair to poor fishing for browns and rainbows on the Roubidoux in Waynesville, MO...Lots of info and some good maps on the Missouri Department of Conservation's Website.

Good smallmouth fishing on many streams near LOZ, but October is a bit late to get em on fly tackle.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tips folks.
    Looks like I may have to run down to Bennett Springs...
    In case it might help those who know the area, the motel - meeting is right off of the Grand Glaize Bridge, and I will be fishing Oct 29th.

Catman, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me on Labor Day... I was BBQing a brisket for my inlaws all day that day... course, my memory ain't what it used to be so maybe I was some place with the initials RR and have forgotten????

Thanks again folks, this may save me from having to pick a fight at the meetings - just for the entertainment value.

Ed

Smile

Sir, Bennett Springs for sure. Use long leaders, light tippett and some small midge patterns and you should be in luck. Also, don't neglect the white bass fishing in the backs of the various "arms" of Lake of the Ozarks. Look for the shad balls and fish underneath. A nice white or hybrid on a fly rod is a load of fun!

I just got home from 5 days at Bennett Springs and would highly recommend it to you. You are just about 45 minutes to an hour drive from Osage Beach. The season runs until October 31. We caught lost of trout on every thing from glow balls to pheasant tails to cracklebacks to renegades, so take your pick. I caught a lot of fish on a simple chamois fly, just a small strip of chamois with the ends split, tied onto a #12 or #14 hook down where the hatchery outlet creek flows in to the main stream. You can sight fish and just drift that chamois right to them if you want. I saw 2 brown caught there that would go over 5 pounds also. I also fished up between the dam and the stone bridge early at the morning whistle with good luck. The stream is at normal level and pretty clear but one problem can be the leaves blowing into the stream. It seemed like every third cast while stripping cracklebacks I would manage to hook a big oak or sycamore leaf. If you just want to have some fun and catch some fish, you can't beat it. I didn't catch anything very big, but did catch 25 or 30 fish a day and had a ball.

Thanks for the idea's guys, especially the fresh report from Bennett Springs. Instead of dreading the trip to central MO, I am just as excited as I can be.

By the way Dave... no need to call me Sir. we are all family here! And I indeed have a few white streamers in my fly box, so I can get up early the days I don't play hooky, and run out to the lake and see if I can't lay into some whites or wipers!

Thanks again,
    Ed

Wink

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Ed, sent you a pm. Let me know if you got it.

Terry

+ Reply to Thread