+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Rash

Default Reel Rash

I have a metal reel that has accumulated quite a few scratches over the past few years. Mechanically it is in great shape. I would like to paint over the scratches. Can this be done??? If so, how is it done??

Thanks,
    AC01

acorbin01;
    Anything can be painted. What is the substrate? Aluminum, steel, etc., different primers.
    Understand that every scratch will show through and may be magnified/enlarged by the paint job.
    To accomplish a "Class 'A' Finish" the reel will have to be polished back to it's original condition. This would mean working down to a mininum 600 stone finish (600 to 1200 sandpaper)
    Then I'd take it to a custom shop such as one that does 'cycle tanks and bakes the finish. (Very tough)
    Or, after all that work giving it a light vapor hone and go fishing.
    Don't intend to put the kabosh to your request/project but just squriting some "Krylon" on it would leave you very dissapointed! Take some time to do it right and you'll have a show piece!!
    I have a Ruger Red Label shotgun with a stainless receiver that useing some of the above methods now looks like a chromed receiver and gets a lot of complements.

acorbin01;
    Forgot an important item. If you can feel the defect but not see it you'll see it after painting! Thus the light vapor hone and not paint.

Thanks Jack!!

The reel is actually my Bass Pro Hobbs Creek. It is an inexpensive reel that is made from metal. It is a good buy for the price in a low end reel. I just thought I would doctor it up a bit before placing it on the market. I was looking to sell it along with the SA Mastery Headstart #4wt Line and Backing that is loaded on it.

[This message has been edited by acorbin01 (edited 17 October 2005).]

I use black nail polish to touch up my inexpensive reels.
    This time of year is a good time to pick some up.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks Dudley!!

Do you use any particular brand or brush? Or is it just purchase and apply?

What ever you can find will do.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

For the price of that reel, why not just buy a new one? By the time you pay for nail polish, gas to get to the store, and your time to fix it will cost you close to what a new reel would cost. Use the new reel in places where you are less likely to scratch it, and use the old one as a "beater" reel.

You can save yourself a lot of dings and scratches with a reel cover. Always put it on except while you're fishing. Also, if you set your reel down while fishing take off your hat and set the reel in it so it doesn't get scratched. I fish Abel reels a lot and like to keep them nice. Even though I fish a great deal they stay unscratched because of the way I take care of them. The scratches don't hurt performance, I just like the aesthetics.

-John

ktokj,

Thanks for the advise on the reel care. I just wanted to dress it up a bit becasause I was selling it. I wanted to provide a nice home for what was the first fly reel I ever owned. Maybe someone would appreciate it as much as I have.

AC01

Consider gun barrel touch up items. For example, Birchwood Casey makes some Sharpie marker like devices, and they are widely available.

Look under "blueing" and "specialty" here:
    [url=http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html:33038]http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html[/url:33038]

Brownell's is prolly the largest gunsmithing supply source, and they are on the net.

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 20 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 20 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread