+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof digitals?

Default Waterproof digitals?

Well our old, slow, digital olympic digital camera got soaked in that big rainstorm the east coast got over the weekend. It spent every day since saturday in dry rice, but we couldnt save it. Instead of buying lots of waterproof 1-time use cameras, we want a waterproof digital camera. Does such a thing exist? Perhaps one that won't break the bank?

Try the Pentax optio line. I've had one for several years now and really like it. No worries about dunking it, and great pictures to boot.

Kevin

There's a whole slew of waterproof digitals out there, but they seem to fall in the $200-$500 range. I don't have one myself yet, but the two that most of my friends seem to be buying re the Pentax Optio W20, 7 megapixel around $225 and the Olympus Stylus 850 SW, 8 megapixel around $240. Hope this helps a little. Good luck

Ken

P.S. Use the search engine of your choice and type in "waterproof digital cameras". You'll get a bunch then
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I bought the first model Pentax Optio waterproof camera 3 years ago. I just love it.
    They have come out with an upgraded model about every 6 months since then.
    They are small, take great pics, and can even be used under water. ( I finally got enough nerve to try that----it was just fine).

If you decide to go for the Pentax, I suggest you get the Pentax case too. It makes for a slimmer combined package than an alternate make case.

Panfisha -

I believe there are only two waterproof digital cameras on the market, at least in the affordable range - the Pentax Optio series and the Olympus SW series.

After LOTS of research about five months ago, I chose the Olympus 850 SW over the then current Pentax Optio. Both are waterproof - the Olympus to 10'. But the Olympus is also shockproof from six feet to a solid surface and freezeproof to 14F.

They are pretty much price competitive at around $300. You might get an Olympus cheaper, but it might not have the amenities, like the battery charger, battery, USB cable, OlympusMaster software, etc. The memory card was about $15 for 1 gig, as I recall.

I can vouch for the waterproof feature of the Olympus. I've taken a number of underwater ( not more than a foot or so down ) pics. Haven't dropped it, and don't plan to ( just like you didn't plan to dunk your old camera ). Haven't had it in below freezing temps yet, but around here, that is not all that far off.

It has auto, movie, scene ( about 18, I think ) and zoom features and 3 macro settings. The flash setting has red eye reduction and contrast minimizing features. It doesn't have a view finder, but the screen is very good for setting up the shot you want, and for reviewing pics on the camera.

I haven't used all the features yet, but have used a lot of them. It is pretty straightforward getting to and using the various features once you get a hang for how it comes together. It has an appropriate amount of "heft" and seems to be very well made.

The 850SW produces good images and good color. Not what you would get from a $500 digital ( nonwaterproof ), but good for a special use point and shoot. You can take a look at any of the posts I've done since early 6-08 with pics to get an idea of the quality and range of images available.

So far, I haven't found any downsides to the camera.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 10-02-2008 at 04:06 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Hey Panfisha, listen to John and have a look at some of his fantastic fishing reports on the reports board, they are always a good read and the pics are great!
    All the best.
    Mike.

I have the Pentax Optio W10 & it's great, plus it has been upgraded as previously stated. It is a very slim profile. I carry it in my vest pocket with a coil type plastic strap clipped to a D-ring on my vest. I have also heard NOTHING negative about the waterproof Olympus, & from what I have seen, it takes great pics.
    IMHO, you couldn't go wrong with either.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have the Olympus SW 720 which was the one before the current SW 850. I could not be happier with the camera.

I've heard good things about the pentax but had a bad experience years ago with a pentax 35mm camera. I've owned several Olympus cameras (35mm and non waterproof digitals) and they have all proven to be workhorses so I ended up choosing the Olympus.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Ya, the Pentax Optio,,, I know several who have them, we all like them very much. (mine is the '30')

Thumbs up Pentax Optio WP

I have had the Wp (first model I beleive) since it came out.They had a WR (Water Resistant)prior to that and when I went to buy it they were out of stock. The sales person said that they were coming out with a water proof (WR)model in the next 3 months, so I waited and am glad I did.I love it. Huntin,fishin, riding horses,campin, nope I ain't scared.

Kev

+ Reply to Thread