+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass?

Default Fiberglass?

I find that lately I've been leaning toward fiberglass rods. When I was into the archery and bow hunting scene, I favored the Recurve Bow and especially liked the traditional Longbow. When I migrated to black power, I found my favorite tools were not inline rifles, but Hawken rifles and Kentucky Longrifles. Now that I'm pursuing fly fishing the best I can, as much as I enjoy the modern graphite rods, I find and increasing interest in the older fiberglass rods. I just bought an older (maybe 30+ years) Fenwick glass rod. I'm considering building a new Lamiglas 7' 3 weight. Is there anyone else on this forum that has felt a magnetic pull toward fiberglass? Just curioius.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Joe,,, I think I understand. I have more than one fiberglass rods. My problem is, I keep going back farther; bamboo. There is a famous white fiberglass rod you need to get though. Cast one and you are part of history. Enjoy the trip; it's all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Joe,,, I think I understand. I have more than one fiberglass rods. My problem is, I keep going back farther; bamboo. There is a famous white fiberglass rod you need to get though. Cast one and you are part of history. Enjoy the trip; it's all there is.
    Wonder Rod?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

WONDER ROD! I have one...awesome. But not putting down the Steffen Bros. Lami, and McFarland at all! They are a little more money but IMHO they are the best of the best. Good luck finding a good WR but, they are out there. Me it is the BLUE Garcia.

Thumbs up

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc140.php

Good memories from my wonder rod too!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Yes Joe,,, the 'Wonder Rod'.

Joe:

It seems that in the last 3 years all I buy and fish is glass.

I have a glass rod on the way; one I'm contemplating and two custom rods I hope to see in the very near future. Despite lots of bamboo and graphite I seem to grab the glass more often these days.

Yea I got a Wonder Rod too!

My father built me a Lamiglass 4wt in 1972... that was my first 'good' fly rod.
    Because I was fishing good glass, when the graphite revolution came around I never really jumped on the bandwagon.
    Now all but a couple of my freshwater rods are still glass, but I fish graphite in the salt
    I'm not a glass fanatic, but I do think that very often they're the best tool for the job.

My latest is a Wright & McGill 6'6" 'Featherlight' (c.1961)that I rescued from the bottom of the broken rod pile and brought back from the dead. I have no idea where it can from, it's been there forever.
    The label says it's for a HEH (5DT) but so far I've fished it with a WF4F and a 3DT.
    I've gone out of my way to fish tight little streams lately just so I can use this rod... it's a pleasure to cast.
    Last edited by dudley; 09-30-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Heck yes, the Wonderrod was one of my first trout rods. Love that thing still. I've recently bought a Scott Fibertouch 7'3wt that is becoming one of my favorite rods for small streams.

I've heard there are some really nice other rods out there. The old Winstons are pretty darn nice, too.

Back in July, I headed out for a week long Atlantic Salmon fishing trip with my boss and 4 other fishing buddies. I typically carry 2 rods, my St. Croix Avid 908 2-piece and my father's $19.95 Shakespere glass rod. Yes, $19.95, still has the price tag on it from when he bought it in the early 1980's when he was getting my little brother and I into fly fishing and him "back" into fishing.

Well, on night number 1, after having been at the camp for about 2 hours, we were gearing up and I took out my St. Croix for an evening of fishing. If you remember the paragrah above where I mentioned it was a 2-piece, well, when I took it out of the case, it was a three piece - 1 piece for the butt section, one piece for the tip section and one piece that only had the tip-top on it....oh my, not good, the tip was broken about 2.5 inches down from the top of the section. Not sure how or when it happened as it had been in the hard case since the last trip where it went in the case as a two piece, but anyway....

Reaching over to get the "back-up" rod out of the second tube, out it came, I put my Tioga reel on and headed to the river with some wild looks from the others. It took a little to get used to since the action was extremely different as the glass rod was a 9-weight and was extremely slow to load the WF8F line, but anyway, the evening was not lost.

I hooked and landed 2 Atlantic Salmon about 5 lbs each on that rod that week. Dad must have been watching me from above and clapping his hands in glee.

Dwight

+ Reply to Thread