+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's Quietist Places (not ff)

Default World's Quietist Places (not ff)

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Wink ssshhhhh

Doug -

There is some irony that you post an article on the quietest places in the world ( ssshhhhh ) on the SOUND OFF Forum ??!!

Probably the quietest place I've been is Toroweap, on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, on the western end of the Canyon, 60 miles of dirt road from the nearest pavement, and another 10 or so miles to the nearest town. It is also one of the narrowest parts of the Canyon, if not the narrowest - about a mile across with almost vertical walls off the North Rim all the way down ( 3000' ) to the river.

It was so completely still in mid-afternoon that is was truly eerie. No one around. No sound from the river. No breeze. No bugs. No nothing to make a noise of any kind if you held your breath. It didn't last the entire time we were there, but it was so memorable for what it was.

It was also memorable for the fact that you practically need four wheel drive to get around the campground. And the night we spent there was marked with a full moon. Incredible shadows in the middle of the night.

John

P.S. ssshhhh
    The fish are always right.

John,
    Here is a quiet place; http://www.dustydavis.com/blogimages...lake_large.jpg
    Crater Lake National Park. (southern OR)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I spent today in my worlds most quietest location and it was truly beautiful.

The only sound was when a gentle breeze blew through the trees..

Thanks for the link..

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Ever hear the old saying "So quiet you could here a pin drop"?

Here is a quote from another web site on the tabernacle in SLC, Utah. When I was a kid I was in the tabernacle and witnessesd, and heard, the following:

Come see the home of the world-famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Visit the dome shaped auditorium which is so acoustically sensitive that a pin dropped at the pulpit can be clearly heard at the back of the hall, 170 feet away.

Tim

Default Crater Lake

Doug -

The only time I was at Crater Lake, it was tourist season, and the area was anything but quiet. BUT I bet that in the middle of an "off season" day without any wind, it was be just awesome ??!!

Regardless, it is truly a beautiful place. The depth of the color of the water is unique, to my experience - almost painful to look at, and hard to look at it for more than seconds at a time.

Had my favorite picture from that trip professionally framed and it has hung, with a dozen or so others from some of my 13,000 favorite places, in a prominent place somewhere in the house everywhere I've lived since.

John
    The fish are always right.

This is not as well known in Oregon, but it is a very special and peaceful place; Silver Creek Falls State Park; (Silverton OR) http://k53.pbase.com/g6/07/12807/2/7...0.pCmSNnap.jpg
    There is a Trail right behind the water fall. Generally there is not much flow of water in Silver Creek, so it doesn't make much noise, going over the falls.
    Doug

Quiet places, let me count, I don't have enough fingers, and I refuse to take off my shoes, then it gets REALLY QUIET!!

There are a few around me, not far from town that are not only quiet but beautiful also. My hunting area, a couple of fishing spots, to name a few others.

There is nothing closer to God than a quiet place that is beautiful and has a great view also.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    Ever hear the old saying "So quiet you could here a pin drop"?

Here is a quote from another web site on the tabernacle in SLC, Utah. When I was a kid I was in the tabernacle and witnessesd, and heard, the following:

Come see the home of the world-famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Visit the dome shaped auditorium which is so acoustically sensitive that a pin dropped at the pulpit can be clearly heard at the back of the hall, 170 feet away.

Tim
    This was the first thing I thought of as well.
    It is pretty amazing.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread