+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio Fly Lines

Talking Rio Fly Lines

I asked for some advice on fly lines a while back here on the site and several folks suggested the Rio Lines for various applications. I ended up buying the Rio Grand WF for my 6 weight and love it. It really shoots line well and has minimal memory. It loads very well. I also bought the Selective Trout II in DT for a 4 weight bamboo rod. It has just about no memory what so ever, lays a fly down very nicely, and will still reach out there if necessary. I fished both very hard this summer here in Alaska and they are working very well. Great fly lines......and a sponsor, eh? I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Alaska Dean; 09-18-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: wrong icon

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Dean View Post
    I asked for some advice on fly lines a while back here on the site and several folks suggested the Rio Lines for various applications. I ended up buying the Rio Grand WF for my 6 weight and love it. It really shoots line well and has minimal memory. It loads very well. I also bought the Selective Trout II in DT for a 4 weight bamboo rod. It has just about no memory what so ever, lays a fly down very nicely, and will still reach out there if necessary. I fished both very hard this summer here in Alaska and they are working very well. Great fly lines......and a sponsor, eh? I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
    I have been looking for a new fly line and some have suggested Rio lines to me. I have also tried one (Rio Outbound) which my brother owns and loved it. Looks like my next one will be a Rio. Thanks for sharing this information.
    Jon

I really like the Rio Gold and Selective Trout. Both work well on my rods. Not the only good line out there, but I don't think one would go wrong buying a Rio line product.

I really like their tippet and leaders too.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    I really like the Rio Gold and Selective Trout. Both work well on my rods. Not the only good line out there, but I don't think one would go wrong buying a Rio line product.

I really like their tippet and leaders too.

Jeff

Jeff,

Do you use the Rio on your SLT? If so, which one? I have an SLT in the 590-4 configuration and its time for a new line. I am currently using SA Headstart, but I am not married to it and looking to change to another.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thumbs up

I purchased the Rio Grand for my 3wt in the weight forward floating and I would recommend it. I bought it because the Rio Grand states it is formulated for the fast action rods and my 3wt is a Sage XP 2pc in 8 foot length. It casts very smoothly and I like it.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Jeff,

Do you use the Rio on your SLT? If so, which one? I have an SLT in the 590-4 configuration and its time for a new line. I am currently using SA Headstart, but I am not married to it and looking to change to another.
    I use Rio Selective Trout on my Scott G2 and Rio Gold on my Winston B2T. On the SLT, I'm currently using Scientific Anglers Mastery series (for the 3wt) and sometimes I overline the rod with 4wt and I have a spool strung with Orvis Wonderline. (The SLT is a 7'6" 3wt).

I really like the Rio Gold on that Winstor 4wt. The Gold just seems to cast better than the Orvis or the Rio Trout. The SA Mastery would be my next favorite. If I had to rank the lines I own, it would be
    Rio Gold (1 rod)
    SA Mastery (2 rods)
    Rio Selective Trout (4 rods)
    Orvis Wonderlinec(1 rod)
    Cabela's Prestige (1 rod)

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thumbs up RIO Tropic Saltwater lines.

Where the RIO lines really shine is in their Saltwater Tropic lines. They are a little stiffer than the SA lines and don't wilt or get sticky in the heat, making them perfect for tropical saltwater applications.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

How is the Rio mainstream line? I'm looking at it for my 10-' 7wt.

Blog Entries

By no means am I about to criticize Rio lines. I have and use many of them and buy a lot of lines every year. Rio is perhaps the most castable line for newer folks. By making their lines a half-weight heavier than standard they slow the action down and reduce timing criticality. They cast easier.

I have rods that respond very well to over-weighting and some to under-weighting. My wife hates her 5wt Sage until she uses a 7wt TT line on it. She likes to roll cast.

There is nothing like actually trying various lines on a particular rod to see what feels best for you. Not everyone is trying to cast across the Great Lakes every time out.

At a Denny Rickards seminar a month or so ago he stated SA makes the best lines, period. Of course he only fishes lakes and finds the intermediate sink rate lines by SA to be exactly the right thing for him.

Everybody is different and every rod just complicates that issue.
    art

Blog Entries

Hap,

At a Denny Rickards seminar a year or so ago, he said the Cortland intermediate lines were the best there is, period. I guess he got a new sponsor for this year.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread