+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fashion or need

I carry a lot of stuff. Every time I try to lighten the load, I end up needing what I left behind.

If your felt soles don't leave 1/2" imprints, in every rock you step on while fishing, you're obviously a rookie when it comes to having "stuff".
    An engine puller, when mounted on a high enough stand, makes a great aide for lowering your vest onto your shoulders.
    A well equipped fly vest, should have enough "stuff", so if one were to become lost while out in the wild, a complete camp, (including a small strip mall and post office), can be assembled while waiting for rescue.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the funniest sights I ever saw was a guy wearing a FULLY loaded vest and a chest pack/backpack combo with a hydration bladder; along with a full to the max lanyard while fishing at the Run at the Yellow Breeches in Boiling Springs, PA.

If you do know this stream you know why I found this so amusing unless it was you I saw fishing.

If you don't know this stream the parking lot is 5 feet away, a fly shop is 100 yards away, for the most urgent needs a port-o-pottie is 30 feet away and trash cans are readily available for spent tippet spools along with a rain shelter if walking the 10 feet to your car is too far. If you need groceries or lunch you can walk about 150 yards to the Quickie Mart and if you need a drink or a six pack; a bar is across the street from the fly shop.

I guess he was just one of those prepared fly fishermen.

Blog Entries

Talking

I took everything I needed for my Idaho trip. Except I left the 80 flies I tied for the trip sitting on the table back in Canada. Not to worry though I had the identicle plastic plano box with over 1000 bare hooks of all sizes in it in my pack. Now I carefully lable the boxes so nothing can go wrong......nothing can go wrong.....nothing ca...... fades out....
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Wink

Kind of depends on the situation. When I left home about 12:30 this afternoon to fish the Henry's Fork, this is what I took with me, along with a 9' for 5 wt with a class II sinking line and my Camelback with food and water for the afternoon.

Fished for about three and a half hours here and for about half a mile downstream.

Caught about twenty brown trout. Most were under 12", several around 14" and one about 16".

This is what I had when I got home, along with the rod and the Camelback. The wet one did all the work.

So, all right, I had this thread in mind when I took off today. Just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

Sometimes I take a bunch of stuff. Kind of depends on the situation.

John

P.S. I was dressed very fashionably, but didn't have anyone along to take my picture.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread