+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question

Default question

I am now going to show my dumbness. What is the difference between a 9' salt water fly rod and a fresh water fly rod at 9'. I was looking at the tiger eye blanks and the salt water in a 7 weight was cheaper then a 7 weight in the fresh water.

Bob -

Not sure which site you were checking, but Schneider Rods does describe the salt water versions as having more lifting power, for the two piece, and having more lifting power and a slightly faster action for the four piece.

Here's a link - http://www.schneidersrods.com/privat...rod_blanks.htm

But Schneider doesn't offer a four piece 7 wt.

Didn't check the specs or compare prices, but Schneider's site is pretty complete for that information.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John that helped a lot. Been looking for a blank for a steelhead rod. Can't make up my mind between a 7 or 8 weight. Got two weeks to think about it then will have to place a order. Actually is a toss up between the tiger eye and the TFO blank.

use stainless guides on the saltwater rod or chrome plated brass---some guides are carbon steel and might rust

in saltwater, use oversized guides so the connections (i use loop to loop) will pass without a problem

dont put a hook keeper on it ---the wind blows the line around and it gets in the way and hangs your line at critical times---hook your fly on a guide frame and bring it back around the reel

a fighting butt is nice to get leverage against your forearm for long runs

the great lakes steelhead that i catch can be handled with a 7 wt---but ive never caught any over 33"---in the north west i'd might consider an 8---maybe someone else from there can chime in---J.C.???
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Yupp John hit it right about the main difference. The saltwater series of Tiger Eyes have a slightly different taper where the butt section is a tad faster so it has more lifting power in the butt. Its not really such a difference that you would be able to tell without tryin one right after the other, but there is a slight difference.

There is no 7wt 4pc Saltwater Tiger eye though thats why you dont see that one online. There is a 7wt 2pc Saltwter Tiger eye, but no 4pc The only 4pc 7wt Tiger Eye is the freshwater series (which is a good blank for steelies).

Also keep in mind that Sevier rates blanks as dual rated 6/7wt 7/8wt etc etc...and for all realistic purposes I feel they are actually the higher of the rating IMO. So the 6/7 is more a 7wt and the 7/8 is more an 8wt. (just something to keep in mind when buying one of them).

Steve

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have decided on the rod now that I know the difference.

harleybob- Telling you to check out another blank other than the Tiger eye probably is not the wise thing for me to do since I'm a Sevier dealer lol....But I like to see guys happy with what they get rather than just tryin to sell them on what I carry. The Tiger Eye is good I really like them, but also take a look at the Fly Logic FLO 9' 6/7wt. I've built alot of them and thats also a really great steelhead blank thats pretty much in that same price range. Its a tad lighter than the TE and also has a bit more power in the butt as well as a bit crisper tip. Runs about $20 more but if a real nice steelie blank as well.

Steve

LMAO steve thank you for the sugestion. I have a source for the fly logic and it is one of the blanks I am considering. You are right they are good blanks and not that expensive. Different taper though, but will cast and pick up line very very well. Funny you should mention them cause my bro I built one for showed off his rod to everyone at the campout. One of the guys there was a st croix freak. Nothing but st croix will do for him. He played with it a little bit and then ask how much to build one for him. thank you once again for the suggestion and do apreciate it a lot.

They are really nice I agree. I honestly never understood why Fly Logic blanks never got the respect they deserve IGuess maybe because they just dont advertise like most other places, because they really are a nice crisp light blank. Although its probably a good thing for us that they dont advertise much, because if they did the price would probably at least double

Good luck with the Search and let us know what you end up decideing on

ROTFLMAO They don't advertize cause they are from Melba Idaho right down the road from me and they haven't heard about the internet radio or newspapers yet. I would apply there for work but heck it is the only place in Melba that pays more then $3.00 an hour. Seriously they are good folks and very friendly. Nice small company.

+ Reply to Thread