+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to build a fly rod

Default Want to build a fly rod

I'm starting to get interested in building a fly rod,so I have some ?s. First, what do i need? Second, I want to build on a Tiger eye blank 8or9 weight for Streamer Fishing, so where can I buy the blank? Are the Tiger eye blanks tough? Please post links, and pictures. Also, please keep in mind that I can't spend too much money. thanks.

Congrat's on deciding to build a rod. You don't really say how much you want / have to spend or how much if any experience you have. So, heres my 2 cents.

First, read the Rod building info. on this web site by Al Campbell -- read it a couple of times. supplement this with questions to this web site and others, and read more about rod building on the web or buy a book or two.

Second, if this is your first build, I would strongly recommend that you purchase an all inclusive kit from someplace like Hook and Hackle ( I know they have nice kits for well under $100)

Third, more than likely, once you have built one rod, you will probably want to build another. So, hold off on the Tiger eye blank until you have had some practice on the first rod kit.

It is not that you can't build a nice rod on your first try, it is just that there is a learning curve and you are more than likely to make some mistakes ( eg guides don't line up, bubbles in the epoxy finish, etc) on the first rod that you won't repeat on the second -- and you will learn how to handle the materials (i.e. epoxy if that is what you finish your wraps with) before moving on to a higher end project.

4th - on your ideal tiger eye rod, you might want to choose different / nicer components - which can be more expensive and better compliment your Tiger rod. You probably don't want to dump a lot of money into a first build.

5th -- just do it. It isn't hard -- just takes a little patience and attention to detail.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 09-14-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Tiger Eye blanks are inexpensive, go ahead and build one. If you have done anything requiring careful craftsmanship you can build a rod using Al Campbell's instructions. There are instructional videos avilable, too. There are Tiger Eye kits available, which relieves you from having to choose your components. Try a google search. Dan Craft Enterprises and Neal's Fishing Tackle are two that can supply you with a kit. This is one of the most helpful board you will find if you have any questions. Keep us posted!

Blog Entries

Smile Wecome to the Dark Side

As a builder of many rods, I think Ortho's advice is very sound. Buy a cheap kit, and learn from the experience. Once you get your hand into building and figure out how to impove on things that's the time to invest in a more expensive venture.
    Also, your first rod, perfect or not so perfect will be a fishable rod no matter what. Take pride in it and fish it when completed. As for help there are any number of people on here that you can count on to help you through the process. Dont be afraid to ask questions.

We all started buiding with a "first rod" at some point, and I dont know about the others but mine was far from perfect. Good luck on your build and heed this warning .......You are preparing to enter the "Dark Side" ..........One consolation :...you have a lot of company!
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 09-14-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Ken I am by far not an expert on building fods. I have only built one and it was with a boo blank that I had on hand. You do not have to have a lot of equipment to get started. A cardboard box with a V cut in each end, a cup and a phone book, will get you started on your first one. I do suggest you go through all of the info on rod building here on FAOL and talk to some of the experienced builders here. There are some very fine builders here that will help you a lot. Check all of the sponsers here for the things you will need. I will not give you advice on building as I said I have only done one. I am getting read to start another. I got all of my help from folks here on this site. Good luck and have fun with your first build. I have sent you a PM. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Ken -

The only thing I would add is that you don't even need to use the cardboard box and telephone book. On my first build a few months ago, I used a fly tying bobbin and wrapped everything by hand. Not that I would recommend that for a really nice build, but doing it that way helped me fully grasp what is involved each step of the way.

Kits are a good way to start. You will get some materials / supplies that you can use on the several additional rods you are sure to build shortly after you finish your first one. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

John

Here's a direct link to Al Campbell's twelve part series - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/
    The fish are always right.

Start with an enexpensive kit, as has been said. A kit from Hoook and Hackle will have enough epoxies for several rods. Cork Sealer is a must if you want the grip to be durable.
    Build a 3 or 4 pc. rod first. A 2 pc. 9 foot rod is a lot to handle when wrapping.
    Good lighting and a clean work area are esential, a place where the beloved pet can't get to it.
    Be warned that rod building is an addiction and there is no cure!!

One other requirement for a rod building area that Jack neglected to mention (probably due to his advanced age) is away from young children. I can't tell you how much trouble I got into when my nephew repeated some of the words he learned when I screwed up a wrap on one of my early rods.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

hi guys

I just saw a closeout at johnnyspond for 25 bucks---thats about as cheap a practice as you can get.

mike

Jim---thats funny---i wasnt going to pick on jack this time!
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Thanks for the tips.

+ Reply to Thread