+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anti virus program

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Not a strong recommendation but.......

I've found that no matter what virus protection I use, there is always something that comes along which can infect my computer. And that's true even if you update regularly. I had an attack the other day that took over my computer with flashing lights, noise and an unremovable pop up that told me I had been infected with spyware and I must buy the best virus remover on the market. You couldn't make the popup disappear, not even with a computer restart, it was still there. All it wanted was my personal information and credit card number to order this great antivirus program. BTW, I was not on a questionable site at the time; I was actually researching the history of deductive reasoning----honest.

The computer professionals at my university have decided that McAffee antivirus protection is the way to go. When I told them about this incident, they weren't surprised but still insisted that McAffee is the best on the market. One added that this is the type of problem you run into when you have millions of highly computer literate people in third world countries who have no opportunity to find jobs commensurate with their education level.

I won't argue with the computer geeks---McAffee, I guess. 8T

I'm a free AVG fan.

I suppose you all know not to run two at once.

One other thing. Like mentioned previously. It doesn't matter which anti virus program you put on, you CAN get a virus. There are hackers out there writing new virus programs on a daily basis. Even the best anti virus programs can't keep up with them.

Most do it for the thrill, but some do it to for more devious reasons. It's the newest level of international terrorism and this is growing. You still need to be responsible for what you do and where you go with your computer. I can guarantee that if you like downloading pirated material like movies, music, software etc...you WILL get a virus sooner or later. Also if you like hitting those adult sites...you'll get infected with tons of spywear and worms. If you open emails and go to web sites that they may have in them ...and you are not absolutely sure you know who sent them...you'll get a virus. If you have tweenies and teens...you will get viruses if your not watching them 24/7.

AVG added something new on it's free program this year. A Link Scanner that checks for malicious drive by downloads. I love it.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Default Anti virus

Another vote for AVG free. I've had Norton, McaFee, Stop Sign, etc. and AvG worked the best for me !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Thumbs up

All anti-virus programs have pros and cons. I recently came upon one that I like better than any of those mentioned here. It's called a Mac Book Pro. It was a little different to use at first, but as I became familiar with it, things got better. I doubt that I'll ever go back to a PC .... Best Regards!
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel D. Popham View Post
    All anti-virus programs have pros and cons. I recently came upon one that I like better than any of those mentioned here. It's called a Mac Book Pro. It was a little different to use at first, but as I became familiar with it, things got better. I doubt that I'll ever go back to a PC .... Best Regards!
    My kids keeps telling me that he doesn't need virus protection on his Mac. While I agree that they are less of a target than a PC, just because of the sheer volume of PCs vs Mac's out there, that he still needs something for it. He is a musician and loves his Mac. I will have to tell him about Mac Book Pro. Thanks,

Rick

Default Spyhunter!

Spyhunter nailed a slew of things that AVG did not find and my computer is no longer slow. Norton is used because it pays a fee to computer manufacturers. AVG nailed some things that Norton missed. Hooray for Spyhunter. Spyhunter costs twnty bucks or so and is well worth it. It cleaned a ton of crap that other programs left.

Thumbs up

Clay,

The reason for the "immunity" of a Mac to viruses is that when these nuts who write the viruses do so, they want to infect the greatest numbers of computers; PC's. They write them to hurt PC's and use PC programming to do so. Mac's run differently, use different programming, etc. I don't presume to be "immune" just because I use a Mac. It's just that my exposure to them is dramatically lower than someone who uses a PC. Also, I know a lot of Mac users who have never had an issue with viruses in spite of running no anti-virus software. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joel D. Popham View Post
    It's called a Mac Book Pro.
    sorry but thats simply too much to pay for an anti virus program which is still susceptible to a virus

i do like macs though

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenfish View Post
    Spyhunter nailed a slew of things that AVG did not find and my computer is no longer slow. Norton is used because it pays a fee to computer manufacturers. AVG nailed some things that Norton missed. Hooray for Spyhunter. Spyhunter costs twnty bucks or so and is well worth it. It cleaned a ton of crap that other programs left.
    And I'm sorry...Isn't AVG antivirus?...and it sounds like Spyhunter may be antispyware...if so there is a difference...my understand we need both.

+ Reply to Thread