+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner needing help

Default Beginner needing help

Well, I was encouraged to give you guys some specs and see what you thought you may could work up.
    So here are some details.
    I currently live about an hour south of Birmingham, AL, but will be relocating to St. Louis this time next year to begin seminary. I grew up in Western NC and loved fishing, but did not begin fly fishing till I moved to Alabama. My current pastor and a few of my youth enjoy fly fishing and tying as well, but my pastor only has one (really bad) vise. Being a young husband/father I have a pretty tight budget, but have been saving for a while to purchase a vise, tools, ect. Recently some of my youth (I am a youth pastor)gave me a nice envelope full of money for my birthday, which gets me to my goal to be able to purchase what I need.
    I have approx 200-250 to work with, but not sure all of this will go to this one purchase.
    I would like to get a vise that will last and that I can grow with as well. I have looked at the Renzetti Traveler, Peak, Danvise, Apex, Made 2 Fly, and some others. Also been looking at a Dr. Slick tool kit, Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple, and other materials I need to get started.
    On a secondary note I am working on my own custom tying desk (I have some materials to work with and either get rid of them or make something out of them!). What do you find important in a fly tying desk?
    Thanks for all your assistance.
    Grace
    Mtnram

Also, do you recommend a C clamp or pedestal base

Here is some info from Hook & Hackle;http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html#Anchor-STANDAR-43190
    Check out the "Complete Fly Tying Kit" at the bottom of the page.
    This is what I use for my fly tying materials;http://www.tcinz.co.nz/images/A3x3drawerGIIwht.jpg
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 09-03-2008 at 05:04 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Smile Vises

mtnram,

Glad you checked in here at FAOL, it is a great place and I guarantee you will get a ton of suggestions, enough to make your head spin.

Getting the vise and tools is only part of the problem, you then have to buy the tying materials.

Personally, I would suggest the following action:

Buy a decent quality vise and a tool kit.

I would suggest buying a Griffin vise. Almost all of them except their entry level vise are guaranteed for life. They make an excellent vise.

They have a new one out, a cam style which is really handy to have and it is called the Montana Pro Vise and it sells for $78. This has a clamp mount.

They also have a Montana Pro Vise II with a pedestal mount for $88.95.

Or you can buy the Montana Pro Vise II Kit for $128.50 and you get all this:
    MT Pro vise with pedestal and carrying case.
    Includes:
    1-MT Pro vise w/pedestal
    1-Standard Scissor
    1-Supreme Bobbin
    1-Regular Hair Evener
    1-Bodkin 1-Regular Hackle Plier
    1-Rotating Whipfinisher

Personally, I have used a Griffin Patriot Cam vise for years and really like it but it may be more than you need right now.

The pedestal mount allows for a whole lot more freedom than the clamp style mount. I would suggest the pedestal.

So, buy the Griffin Montana Pro Vise II Kit and you will be set.

Then comes the materials.

Decide on a handful of flies that you want to tie and buy the materials for them. Practice tying on those until you really get the feel for tying then you can slowly add more materials.

Check out the Griffin vises at: http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

By the way, when you get to St. Louis, check out the Ozark Fly Fishers club, http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

The best thing you can do for your self and your fly fishing expierence is to join a fly fishing club.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

GO SLOW!!!! REALLY! This game is a learning/travel sport. Do not try to do it all at once!

borrow a used one...

JC makes a good point. If there is a used vise you can borrow, try it out.

A very good friend and excellent fly tier bought the E-Z Rotary vise from Hook and Hackle, $45.00 for the Clamp version and also bought the Hook and Hackle pedestal base for another $16.95. That way he could have both types of vise in one. We were both surprised by the quality of the vise, especially considering the low price. It's a very good vise with an in-line rotary finction that you can grow with. He's been using the vise steadily for 4 years now and it's still rock solid.

I can highly recommend the Griffin "Odessy Spider". For $85 it's has full rotary function and is light enough for travel, yet stable for tying at home. I another more expensive vice, but the griffen is the one that gets used.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    By the way, when you get to St. Louis, check out the Ozark Fly Fishers club, http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

The best thing you can do for your self and your fly fishing expierence is to join a fly fishing club.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Do check out our club its a great and active group.

New club web sight http://flyfishmotrout.info/
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

+ Reply to Thread