+ Reply to Thread

Thread: most successful method

Default most successful method

If you were to fish the great lakes region for steelhead, what type of fishing style would you use right now? Would you use a dead drift with a nymph egg and indicator, or would you swing a streamer. Also if someone can explain how to swing a streamer that would be appreciated because I dont know what I am doing. Also what makes you decide when to use what technique? I went out fishing on a trib today, and didnt get a bite. I am obviously doing something wrong, so if someone could explain a productive way to catch great lakes steelhead it would be appreciated. I have all the gear right now (look like a poser because I dont catch fish So if someone could please help me out here. I am new to steelhead fishing so any advice would help.

hmmmm.....Ont Steelies huh???.....find some chartruse sponge....take a single egg sized chunk....place on #12 laser sharp hook....drift thru the run....this works really good if the water is up and discolored....good luck... )

mojo

thanks all, I am in Ohio fishing the rocky and chagrin rivers. Does anyone else have advice besides the guide thing? I am looking into it right now, but I keep fishing in the mean time while I am trying to find the "right" guide. So if anyone can just help me out for a quick second fix to hopefully put me on fish. Maybe how long a leader should be, or how I should fish the current of a river, upstream cast accross stream down stream? Also I have a bunch of flies, someone did tell me try streamer fishing for them now, but I struck out on it the other day. I hear we are gunna get rain soon so that will help! Any more advice?

Smallie14;
    I have a friend that fishes the Pere Marquette and the Manistee. He also caught what might be the new State Record Walleye while Steelheading on the Big Manistee. Send me your email address and I'll send the pictures. I know he'd love to guide you free but, he works weekends. He's also got me very interested in the sport and I'm following along here to learn more about it.
    P.S. Egg sucking leaches seem to be very popular up here as they can be found all along the banks of the streams when the water goes down in late spring.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Smallie14,
    There is also some good info online at the following sites:
    [url=http://www.steelheading101.com/:d5a6b]http://www.steelheading101.com/[/url:d5a6b] [url=http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/StreamFishing.asp:d5a6b]http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/StreamFishing.asp[/url:d5a6b] [url=http://steelheadsite.com:d5a6b]http://steelheadsite.com[/url:d5a6b]

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

[This message has been edited by Catch 22 (edited 16 October 2005).]

At this time of year steelhead are in the streams to eat salmon eggs (more likely) or to hold over for the winter (less likely). So egg patterns make good sense. In my experience steelhead do not look up, the fly (nymph) has to be at their level so, contrary to Castwell, use weight. Early and late in the day are better, sunlight seems to really turn them off. Don't splash in the pool or wade too much (stand still at a good spot ? it is more like hunting than fishing), they are spooky. If you see a fish cast upstream, as mentioned by others to get the fly down, and work it until your arm falls off, sometimes they finally hit out of irritation. Other than that, your first two casts are the most important, don't rush them. I agree with the other comments re. patience. Better steelheaders than I (my mentors) don?t always catch any either.

Smallie14, I was looking to go after Steelhead for the first time this winter and spring in Ohio as well. I only get out to Columbus occasionally (I'm from Illinois and we swing out there to visit the in-laws) however, and the next time we'll be out there is for New Years (I'm a fishing addict though, and barring sub-freezing temp's, I'll be on the water). Anyway, if you're up for it, maybe we can get together for a trip and try to figure a few things out... at the very least we can exchange some notes.

You would do well to pick up a copy of John Nagy's book on steelheading the Great Lakes tribs. He covers everything that you need to know.

thanks guys. With the weather, it looks like it will be tough to get a steelhead this week. I am going out there with my friend on friday and we hope to hook into a few. We are going to be using fly rods, and with the water being gin clear, I have no idea what method to use. I am guessing a nymph and indicator? And we will be looking for deep pool areas to fish them. I have a couple nice little spots in which to try, now I gotta hook one of them. I will be using long flourocarbon leaders as well. Hopefully we will get rain soon, because the fish have to be pressured beyond belief.

Also a quick question, I seem to be getting a lot of slack in my line is this normal? Should I be stripping in the slack, or am I casting wrong? Possibly not mending correctly? Any thoughts? Also am I supposed to keep in direct contact with the swinging fly?

[This message has been edited by Smallie14 (edited 18 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread