+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attaching furled leader rings

Default attaching furled leader rings

I have been making furled leaders and been using the shorb loop. I really like the loop, but sometimes it's maddening to get them done correctly. I can't quite figure out how to put a "ring" on. I use 6/0 Uni and cup hooks. Having trouble visualizing how the ring goes on. Probably a head slapper.
    SweetStreamS

Sweetie,
    Go down a bit in the list here in this forum to: "Furled leader mat'l Question". Somewhere around the last page I've actually posted pictures on how to attach the ring! And, yes, I'm sorry to say, it is a head slapper!
    Betty
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 08-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Thanks

Thanks Betty,
    It's similar to a loop to loop connection. I think what would really be a neater connection would be to put the thread through the loop while on the cup hook. Onliest trouble is you couldn't use the thread off the spool. It might only take a year to remove the thread from the spool, and keep it untangled enough to make a leader. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. Sure would be a great connection though.
    SweetStreamS

Sweetie,
    An easier way, to put the ring on while still attached to the board ...
    Run your threads post to post, like usual. Before you furl the two ends, slip the hook over the threads on the right cup hook. Just get it on there. When you go to furl the right lines, the ring slides right down the threads to the end!! Go ahead and furl the left threads. When you attach the weight to the tippet end, make sure the little ring is at the very end. It'll stay there as the main furling is done! Voila! Ring attached as you go!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Kind of depends on your furling "board" ( as most people seem to use ) or "jig" ( which is what some of us use ).

With the furling jig I use, you can slide the tip ring down to the end of the "V" formed by the two legs before you start the twisting. It is attached to a sliding end post by a hook.

Since the tip ring is in place before the twisting is done and stays there as the furling is completed, it ends up right at the end of the leader. Not sure if this approach can be done with what most people refer to as a "board" but I could post some pictures if anyone is interested.
    The fish are always right.

SweetStreamS
    It's a piece of cake man. Worked extremely easy the very first time I attempted it. So it has to be really easy in order to work that smooth. What I did was string up the leader on the board. Now you're setting there with it all strung up and tied to the two beginning pegs, ready to spin the thread lengths.

I simply fed one end of a 6 inch piece of white thread thru the loops on one of the beginning pegs and pulled both ends forward (back toward the end of the board with the beginning pegs) to match up the ends of the white thread.....and thus have control of the loops of the leader thread. Snip off the ends of the white thread so you have an even cut. Believe it...if you don't there will be a wisp of thread so small you cannot see it...but you will not be able to aim and thread the white thread through the small ring. I couldn't feed it thru till I snipped it with the scissors.

So....I now have looped a piece of white thread through all the loops of a peg....now wet my fingers and smooth out the tips of the white thread....and feed it though the tippet ring. Slide tippet ring down to the first or beginning post.

Holding the white thread reasonable well...lift the leader off the beginning peg and slide the ring on down to your right as far as you can....now just open the loops back up....not as hard as you might think......you still have the white thread through them so as not to lose control of them. Just put them back on the peg. Slip out the white thread and discard.

Lift the leader thread off the second peg and slide the ring all the way to the end and around to the back of the end peg.

Don't worry about putting the loops back down on the second peg. You are all finished with stringing up the thread now anyway. So just lift it off and slide the ring to the end. When you go to spin it you will take up the slack before you spin it anyway.

Now take a small brass safety pin and feed it through the tippet ring and close the safety pin. Now you are in control of everything. Now do what ever it is you do to secure it, attach weight etc. I have a spring loaded clamp that has rubber pads and I just clamp it down on the safety pin and tippet ring.

Now just spin away. Good Luck...

Gemrod
    Last edited by Gemrod; 08-27-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Default From the "furled leader board"

I think this pretty well shows the two methods.
    SweetStreamS

http://furledleaders.proboards26.com...lay&thread=319

John, I'd be interested in some pictures.
    I understand how to put the rings on but I'd be interested in how you "jig" differs from my "board"????????????

Yep..that is what I did. Didn't know about the thread on Furled Leader board...but checked out the link. That is exackery what I did.....the inline method. I knew about that board as discovered it a long time ago. Just never go there. My leaders turn out ok so I don't read about them anymore.

Anywhoooo.....for sure...that is what I tried to explain step by step. The inline method. I tried the handshake first. It seems stronger but the connection seems kind of tight. Perhaps that's a good thing. I don't know yet which connection I prefer...but the inline is sure a good looking connection.

Geeeeze ....sorry folks. Just read Mr. Scott's post. I just explained his post unknowingly. duh.....sorry What he states is what I had done.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 08-27-2008 at 05:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread