+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mending the Line...How & When to

1. Default Mending the Line...How & When to

Man there is alot to learn about this affliction!
    I am not quite understanding the term "mending".
    I assume it has something to do with taking up excess slack ib the line when casting upstream or quartering upstream.

Can someone lend me some insight on how to mend?

This is going to be good....doesn't lend itself to words though there are those who may be able too....

I'll start off by saying,,,it's just the opposite...mending is throwing slack in the line.

3. Default

So I then would assume it is a tactic when letting your line drift downstream?

Yes,

A tactic for dry flies to give you a drag free drift....actually for wet flies too.

And for steelhead how you present the fly to them.

Remember...you can mend upstream or downstream.

6. Default

I have heard about making a frontwards or backwards "C" with the tip of your rod as a method of mending...Can someone paint me a visual picture?

Blog Entries

1. This is infintely easier to demonstrate than to explain. If you can take lessons, do so. If not, get a video.

2. The idea is that the fly floats down the river without anything making it act unnaturally. The line pulling the fly in any way (drag) makes the fish wary of the fly. So, imagine the line as your connection to the fly, and the current (or currents, there are always more than one) taking the line and pulling it in various directions. Mending is your corrections of those currents moving your line, so that the fly drifts without any drag. There are many ways to mend.

IMO, mending is one of the most important skills to learn in order to catch fish. It isn't the pretty, photogenic part of casting, but it IS the part of the presentation that turns a pretty cast (or an ugly one) into a fish on the line.

Mending is a line manipulation technique. The point of mending is to extend the drag free portion of a dead drift. It is extended by by taking the down stream bow in the line and by rolling the rod tip up and over (mending) the the bow no longer pulls on the fly (drag free). It easier that it sounds but does take some practice.

See Presenting the Fly, by Lefty Kreh, page 190-191 or any other fly casting reference. The picture make pretty clear whats happening. Then go try it on a river and see how it really works! That's the best part.

Enjoy!

Joe

Here is a good video for a online demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcaTedAqonY
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Blog Entries

Smile 'C' cast or Reach Cast

dishunter,

I believe what you mentioned would be a Reach Cast, actually the first step you can take in mending a line. When you make your forward cast and unload your rod, you then move the tip of your rod either to the left or to the right depending upon the direction you want the line to mend.

That causes a large bow in the line, say upstream, because the water in the middle of the stream is flowing faster than the water where you have your fly.

Then as soon as the fly, or strike indicator if you are nymphing, hits the water, you then toss in a large mend up stream or down stream as the situation dictates. You then can toss one more small mend to adjust the line close to your rod tip. Finish the drift drag free and then pick it up at the end of the drift to cast again.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

+ Reply to Thread