+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Alert - Flu Shots

Default Medical Alert - Flu Shots

It is that time of year again folks, get your flu shot. JC and I both have had ours.

It is a MUST for people 65 years of age and older. Residents of long-term care facilities and people who have long-term health problems such as:
    * heart disease
    * lung disease
    * asthma
    * kidney diseas
    * metabolic disease, such as diabetes
    * anemia, and other blood disorders

The best time to get influenza vaccine is in October or November. The flu season usually peaks in February, but it can peak any time from November through May. So getting the vaccine now is best.

If you are around a lot of people, or in any of the service fields, protect yourself and your family. Get the shot.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

nighthawk Guest

Thanks for the reminder, LF. Important for those that get pneumonia also.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

It's a great day for fly fishing!

Got mine on friday, and a pneumonia shot as well. I've gotten a flu shot every year for at least the last ten years, never yet had any ill effects from the shot.
    May you all have a healthy fall and winter. Guess we might as well throw in spring and summer as well.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

nighthawk Guest

Yep, that pneumonia shot works well.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

It's a great day for fly fishing!

As an expansion of JC'S point....

Flu shots in the past were "attenuated" which means the viri weren't totally killed so indeed could on occasion cause the flu...usually less severe...now the viri are killed and do not cause the flu..maybe a little soreness at the injection site.

It's no longer a valid reason not to get the vaccine.

I had a regular blood draw yesterday, and
    also had both tetnus and pneumonia shots as it had been five years since I had either.
    (Actually I couldn't remember how long it had been since I had the tetnus...a very long time)

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

My doctor keeps me up to date on the tetanus shots...he's heard tales of my fishing adventures (hey, Elliott! Barbed wire, or bead heads?)!! Know he'll hit me with the flu shot tomorrow when I'm there.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Whoa!! I was told I wasn't "old enough" for the flu shot this round! Nurse said I had to wait till November! Then the Doc came in. Needless to say I did get the flu shot today. High risk due to the stroke I had a while back.

Another thing, for your safety, health and well being ... change the batteries in your smoke detector when you turn the clocks back!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi All,

I just came from the doctor(check-up) and asked about flu shot. Now this doctor will 'talk' with his patients and he explained to me that the shot has an effective life span of about 6 months. I don't think his office received the vaccines yet but he suggested I wait about 2-3 weeks before getting it. He said just stop in and ask to get it.

Allan

Dang are my shoulders sore! Flu, Hep A and B, and Tetanus booster. I won't be casting any time soon.

+ Reply to Thread