+ Reply to Thread

Thread: system 1 or pflueger

Default system 1 or pflueger

Looking at either a Scientific Angler system 1 reel or Pflueger Supreme. Anyone had experience with them. Good or bad? How do they compare?

I have had 2 system 1 reels for 10 years and they have been through a lot. They work just as well now has they did when new. Nice, solid, simple, reels. The click drag has been more than adequate, even for large trout (more than 25") and light tippet.

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 15 October 2005).]

I've owned both the System 1 and System 2 reels and was not at all happy with the System 1 reel. The click and pawl was made out of plastic and broke in less than a month. I ended up returning the System 1 and upgrading to a System 2. These are very solid reels that will give you years of good service.

Just one man's opinion...

Jim Smith

I had a couple of years on my system 1 reel
    when one day it went into a free spool mode.
    When I disassembled it I learned that the
    drive gear on the spool was plastic, and in
    pieces. I have not yet contacted SA for a
    replacement. Warm regards, Jim

I have two System 1 reels and 4 spools. The two reels are all metal components. One of the four spools has the plastic drive gear (this one I acquired 7 years ago rather than 10 with the others). I noticed that it was loose so I popped it out, put in a a couple of small dabs of Goop, and it has been very solid for 7 years.

6. Default

Hi,

I just checked a Sys 1 456 that I have in stock and it has a metal gear and metal pawls. I also have a spare spool with metal gear. The Supreme is also a nice dependable click pawl reel if you like gold.

Regards,

Bob
    Fly Supplies
    aflyshop.com

I have the Supreme [small one - 3.2 oz or something like that] on my 2 wgt rod and it works fine. Landed a 2# LMB on it Thursday and just used the spool rim to slow him down. At first the gold finish kinda put me off but I don't notice it anymore.

Donald

Is it possible that maybe they used to make the system 1 from plastic and changed the new ones up to metal because of problems they were having?

[This message has been edited by big brown (edited 15 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by big brown (edited 15 October 2005).]

I have the Supreme on my 7wt and a friend has one on his 4wt. Yes the gold is rather dynamic, but they are solid, smooth and strong. The older (metal) System One was made in Britain, when the patent lapsed it was picked up by Daiwa. Look for their reels if you want all metal for 5wt rods and under at a reasonable price. You could also check out the new Martins (a great improvement for them) if you need a heavier reel to balance your rod.

One thing I have is plenty of reels! LOL

I have the System 2 (plastic) and the Pflueger. Both have been good reels but my old hard-to-change ways makes me prefer the metal. Another inexpensive reel along the same lines that I've used now for three years is the Crystal River "Coachman" CR-2002. This is my river bass fishing reel (use an 8 wt line on it) and has performed very well.

I keep two kinds of reels - the inexpensive ones where I'll use for canoeing over deeper and unfamilar waters, and then a better grade reel for places I know and have been to. It's a lot easier to bid farewell to a twenty dollar reel rather than a two hundred dollar one!

Dale

+ Reply to Thread