+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is it about the Tiger Eye blanks?

Default What is it about the Tiger Eye blanks?

Why does there seem to be so much discussion about these blanks? I have read some about people using them and like them? Are they new? Do they have a special look about them? I see that they are fairly inexpensive . . Is that the attraction?

I only ask this in a separate thread because I did not want to hijack anyone else's thread on their subject.

-wayne

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I'll try to answer this as simply as possible.
    The trend with most rod MFG's today is to keep building faster and faster rods. Not everybody likes a fast action or the brittleness that accompanies it. That's where the T.E. comes in to play . A smooth medium action much like the old Sage SP and more so the SLT's (now both out of production).
    The T.E.'s have been around for quite awhile, but are really shining now for the above reasons, not to mention their coloring ,which makes in to a beautiful build.

OK, with all the talk the talk about Tiger Eye's, I had to break down and buy a blank. I just ordered a 7'6" 3/4wt and all the accoutraments. I plan on using it for a trip to the Smokey Mountains in October.

Does anyone know how this blank casts with a 3wt line? I'm already set for 4wt and 5wt rods.

Blog Entries

Smile

It will handle the 3wt line nicely and the 4wt equally. By the way the 7'6" is a favorite with many folks.....including me. Great rod for those small streams. Best of luck with it!

I need to try one out. I have been meaning to get one for awhile now. If you ever run across them, the old grey Fish Eagle fly blanks that Cabelas once carried make an excellent medium action rod. I build a 4pc 9' 6wt and have just started using it again..with a dt6 it has served me well.
    Janus

Hi guys. As a Tiger eye dealer myself I have been able to build around 100 or more Tiger eye blanks so thought I would give a little feedback on them.

One thing that makes then so good is the price. I have used alot of blanks in the past years and the quality of Sevier is actually extremely good for the low cost. Then as mentioned the color is nice...somewhat of the old Sage root beer brown VPS color Also the wide range of blank from 2-14wt and from 6'-10'. Plus the action is dead on med/fast IMO so it appeasl to alot of builders.

Even though I'm a dealer of them I am first and formost an honest guy, so I'll say the one and only drawback to them is the butt size IMO. They do tend to run about .030 larger per wt than most other blanks. But thats so far been the only "negative" I have found in them. Great blanks for the price.

Steve

Blog Entries

Talking

Hi Steve , I see someone got you up here for a comment. I had mentioned before about the butt diameter when choosing real seats. Glad you threw in your positive opinions on these blanks. I also build quite a few custom rods, (under another name) and have yet to have one complaint from customers. What the heck , I fish em myself!! I compare them more to the SLT , but no matter, they are my go to blank for my standard builds......... Ed

Has anyone built a Tiger Eye 9' 4pc 8wt? If so how would you describe the action?
    Janus

Hi Janus..

Yupp just finished building a 908-4 TE about 4 days ago. The 4pc models are slightly faster than the 2pc ones because of the extra two ferules, but thats true of almost aany blank. Its rated as med/fast like the rest of them but on the TE blanks I have found the 7, 8, and 9wt ones seem to be just a bit under rated IMO so the 8wt 4pc will probably feel comparable to a faster 8wt or even some companies 9wt blanks.

It makes a very nice salmon rod, or a rod for any larger species like pike/muskie or casting large flies.

+ Reply to Thread