+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cap Spiders for Red Devils

Default Cap Spiders for Red Devils

If there is a fly that is better than the Rubber Spider for catching bluegill or red devils..... it's a sinking rubber spider. Since red devil don't take a surface lure, I figured I would try the Cap Spider.

Clay and I were testing my new creations today and the results were great.

The Cap Spider I was using was tied on a 1/64 oz. jig head. I tried different color bodies and legs... most everything worked.

The RD were deep because of the rise in water level so the heavy flys worked well. I've since tied some with a bead head, or no weight at all for a really slow sink rate. Works just fine.

]

Look at the hump on this 1 pound male.... one of the largest I've ever seen.

That's not all they catch. How about this 2 pound catfish?

And there is that little fly, right in the corner of it's mouth.

Aloha,
    Stan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

What about a gorgeous fish that is!! Mike Verduin would be tickled that his little pattern had made it all the way to Hawaii and was catching fish there!

One of these days I'll get back to East Texas and test it on those Caddo Lake bluegill.
    LOL
    Stan

I agree with you about the Cap Spider. After seeing the posting with Mike in the video, I tied up a bunch to try on the bream here in Georgia. It is a terrific pattern that is very easy to tie and extremely productive. Great pattern that belongs in every warmwater flybox. IMHO.

Those are really beautiful fish. I will be spending a few days on Maui next May for my son's wedding. I have some nice small travel rods that I could pack. Is there anywhere on that island I could try to catch some of those beautiful fish?

Jim Smith

Is the Cap Spider a FOTW? I have never seen one and would sure like to try to tie a few, if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

I think it's only available as a video:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...ishing-169727/
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

That's the video I saw on how to tye cap apiders.....

As for fishing on Maui.... no freshwater fishing and I don't if there are any flats for bonefish. I do have some names of people to contact for Maui, Lanai and Molokai where there is light tackle and flyfishing available...
    Please emai me...
    stanwright@hawaii.rr.com
    Aloha,
    Stan

+ Reply to Thread