+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever step on a snapper?

Default Ever step on a snapper?

I had a 16" snapping turtle in my driveway yesterday and just read "An Interesting Experience." These two experiences got me worrying about what would happen if I ever step on a snapping turtle while wading in a river. So, take a look at one of the turtles that live in the pond next to my house and tell me if you've ever stepped on a snapping turtle and what happened next!

Kind of unnerving considering how big the mouth is an how fast the head moves!

One good reason to wear wading boots instead of sandals when wet wading.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Especially in muddy shallow water! I wonder how my boots would stand up to this guys big jaws? I'm hoping the turtle will just swim away. But what would you do if some body stepped on your back?

What a coincidence! Just today while catfishing with chicken liver, we caught the same snapping turtle twice!
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f.../1snapper1.jpg
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...2ndsnapper.jpg

Forgive me here, I may be way out of line, but, these are excellent eating. You did not do that why?

It's been my experience that pretty much all wildlife gets by in life by watching out for bigger predators and getting out of the area. In this case, you would constitute that larger predator. While I guess it's possible to accidently step on a snapping turtle while wading, I think it's highly unlikely. My guess is that the turtle you found is a female out looking for a place to lay her eggs. I live on a small (50 acre) lake and there is one VERY large snapping turtle that I see from time to time while I'm out in my kayak. His head is about 2/3rds the size of a football and his shell is probably 24 inches across. He has surfaced right beside me a couple of times and quite frankly scared the %$#^ out of both of us. He dives immediately and gets out of Dodge. All that being said, large snapping turtles are the apex predators in small lakes and ponds and I would not want to handle one even as large as the one you found on your driveway.

Jim Smith

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up What James said!

Most things smaller than you are going to get out of your way if they have a chance even if they pack sharp jaws, claws, teeth or poison. Unless you caught a snapper totally by surprise, you aren't likely to step on one. We would certainly have a lot more toeless fly fishermen, swimmers and waders if the average snapper wanted to stand its ground and fight. 8T

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSkyGuy View Post
    <snip> Kind of unnerving considering how big the mouth is an how fast the head moves!

Kind of unnerving to think how much that description reminds me of my last girlfriend...

Ed

I have never even *heard* of getting bit by a turtle by stepping on one. That is remarkable given all the BS and liars out there. My bet is they paddle out of the way well before you get to them and you never know they are there. Try sneaking up on one sometime. Nearly impossible unless they are asleep - or marooned on a driveway.

Default Turtle Soup?

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Forgive me here, I may be way out of line, but, these are excellent eating. You did not do that why?
    That's easy, I've never cleaned a turtle and I don't cook!

Joe

+ Reply to Thread