+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7pc rods?

Default 7pc rods?

I've been thinking about getting one in and 8wt used for steelhead and saltwater(when I fly to either coast) any suggestions? I need something that will fit in a carry on bag and it seems like a practical breakdown length...
    Janus

Janus

I have a Sage 890-4 (4 piece 8 wt. FLi) that packs up into a reel on rod case 31" long. Perfect for travel on plane or in your car or in your boat. Really fabulous package. I use it mainly on salt but it would do well for steel head too - maybe just a little heavy for all day on a float trip. I like a 9 1/2 foot 7 wt. for that.

Although ferrules today are strong and well made, in theory they do add an extra falure point to the rod and fewer are better. Fewer are easier to assemble too.

This being said, the number of joints is not a major factor so you should still buy the one you like the feel of and offer you what you want in portability.

Godspeed,

Bob

Hi Janus, if you can afford to re-mortgage the house how about a Hardy Smuggler? They are even available in a metal case that looks like a small briefcase.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Can't re-mortgage right now. ha! I see these cabelas stowaway 7 blanks are on sale. I could build one but I'm not sure I have much time to do that right now. I have a 4pc 8weight but it doesn't fit in my bag I fly with.... maybe I need a bigger bag.
    Janus

I haven't used the eight weight, but I have the Cabelas Stowaway in four and five weights and they fish pretty well.

They are great because they will fit in a carry-on bag. I would take them in a carry-on even though I had other rods in my checked bags. I wanted to have something to fish at the destination just in case my checked bags got lost or delayed.

I snapped the four weight turning my pontoon boat around while launching and I replaced that one. I let some visitors to Alaska borrow the five weight and they snapped it while fishing. But I think they had a salmon on when it broke so that's understandable. I've shattered a Sage eight weight with a salmon on the line.

I've thought about maybe upgrading the seven piece rods to a Orvis or a LLBean, but haven't done so yet. I've got several five piece rods and the Abel rod carrier that I could use. The problem with that is I think the airlines are going to get very picky about what they allow as carry on bags now that they are charging for a second checked bag.

Janus,

I have taken my Cabelas LST 9'-6" 4-piece 7wt to Oregon twice, and to Montana once, and it stows in the overhead on any plane traveling to the left coast. I actually carry a rod tube bundle of three rods with velcro straps holding them together, and my reels and flies go in my carry-on bag in a small Cabelas bag so they can be inspected seperately by TSA if the need arises. I would NEVER trust my fly rods to my stowed luggage. TSA actually ENCOURAGES you to carry your pack rods, reels and flies in your carry-on, but to check with each carrier for their rules. I never checked, but also never had a problem.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1188.shtm

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Many airlines have revised their carry on baggage allowances when they changed their checked baggage policies. But more importantly, some have publicly announced they will be enforcing those carry on baggage restrictions. They will even be hiring additional personnel to do it.

Here are the American Airlines carry on baggage allowances:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...horEvent=false

Their total carry on weight allowance is 40 pounds. The carry on bag is limited to 45 linear inches. Another personal item is allowed with a limit of 36 linear inches.

My five piece Abel rod carrier could be allowed as either the carry on bag or the personal item. However my four piece Abel rod carrier would only be allowed as the carry on bag since it is beyond the 36 linear inch limit of the personal item. My three piece rod carrier can not be taken as carry on baggage because it exceeds 45 linear inches. This is bad for fly fishers who fish long bamboo rods.

Most carry on suitcases are right around 45 linear inches. Since I need to carry items besides fishing gear when I travel I would have to take a carry on suitcase. I would have to fit my flies and reels in that bag. I would only be able to take the five piece rod carrier as the personal item, so that is what I would have to do.

I haven't flown since the new baggage limits went into effect. The last time I did fly I did just what you did, I went to the TSA website and printed out their rules and highlighted what they said about fly reels and flies with a yellow marker. I didn't have any problems at any of the airports. TSA in Waterloo, Iowa did inspect my bag and seemed interested in the fly boxes, but I think maybe the woman was checking out the flies.

But this is a whole new world. These new restrictions are from the airlines, not from TSA. The purpose of the restrictions is to either save fuel expense for the airline or to increase revenues from the baggage fees. Airline jobs are on the line. If fuel costs are reduced or if baggage revenues are increased that means fewer airline employees will have to be laid off. Knowing that the airline employee who is checking your baggage will be less likely to let you slide as they have in the past.

I'm worried about the next step. Wlll they start charging a surcharge for passengers weighing more than a set weight limit?????

The March Brown fly rod company makes an 8pc 9' 7 wt. I have only test casted this rod at shows so I canot tell you how it is in action. It is pricey at $820.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

9. Default

I have a March Brown 7 piece 7'/6' 4 wt that I use for packing in to small streams. I love that rod. It's 1000% better than the Cabela's Stowaway, IMO. Here's where I bought it. They have a 9' 6 piece 8wt for $125 that may fit your needs. Good luck.

http://store.beekflies.com/marchbrown3.html

I just carried on my 4pc to Mexico without a problem. But it was a slower action rod that gave me some trouble in the wind and surf...Thanks all for the tips. I might look into these March Browns. Maybe I can find one to try out..Gotta sell some stuff.
    Janus

+ Reply to Thread