+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sept MI Trip ??

Default Sept MI Trip ??

My step-daughter has changed her mind several times about a date, but claims that its "official" - she and her fiance are getting married Sept 26. They live in southeastern MI, her grandparents in southwestern, MI.

I've done a fair amount of bass fishing in Jackson County back when I was a boy... and a few trips with my Dad and son over the last 6 or 8 years. But, I've never done any trout fishing in MI. And, I've only started learning to fly fish.

I may only have the 27th, but may have a day or two before the wedding... anyone interested in showing a newbie some MI trout? My wife may want to join in too.

And, if not, what might be a nice day-trip, preferably wading and not necessarily a long trek from the car? Suggestions appreciated!

Best,
    JohnR

Come on you Michigan guys anyone gonna step up to the plate and help John out.
    Remember we all live down stream

Thanks for the bump Tim. I missed this one somehow. I'll be on my annual cast and blast vacation in Northern Mi. at that time. I haven't decided where yet but no farther South than M-55 and probably in the lower peninsula. If that is too far to drive for a day trip you will have to find a river where a dam blocks the salmon run if you want to fish for trout. Here on the West side of the state the Rogue and the White come to mind. I don't know much about any rivers on the Southeast side of the state. Check the thread on the Michigan micro fish-in for information about the White. The Rogue is similar but closer to Grand Rapids. Send me a private message if you want directions to access sites on either river. If you have a big rod you may want to give the salmon a try. They will be spawning in any river that empties into lake Mi.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

How about renting a canoe in Grayling and floating the blue-ribbon stream, the Au Sable?

Thanks for the bump, Tim.

Step-daughter is still targetting that date. Looks like wedding will be in Albion - western portion of lower MI.

After I posted I noticed the Mini fishin. Will keep an eye on that as well.

Haven't convinced step-daughter to change date to that weekend. Nor have I managed to have her hold off until the UM v. MSU weekend in October. (I'm a product of a mixed marriage -- Dad went to UM, Mom went to MSU.)

Rainbowchaser - haven't tried salmon yet either. Will send a PM.

JC - Hadn't thought about canoe trip down the Au Sable. Had been thinking about the Au Sable as a destination for the 2009 Fishin. May have to consider that - especially since my wife enjoys canoing.

John if you can make the 2009 Michigan Fish In you won't be disappointed. I am a new fly fisher and attended the 2008 and had a blast. What a great bunch of people.
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread