+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaders & tippets

Default Leaders & tippets

Probably an old question, but gonna ask anyway.
    Fishing for trout,if your using a tapered leader do you use tippet as well?

I always have and have never had a problem, other then tying a weak knot once in a while and losing the tippet to a larger fish.
    But I just cannot see using straight leader to the fly, seems to me that there is just too much waste after a couple of fly changes.
    Anyone?

Yes. Although I buy both tapered and built leaders I always keep 4,5,6 and 7 X spools of tippet with me. Why? Because although I usually buy 5X either tapered or built (knotted sections of mono)and then when needed I taper down from there depending on fly hook size or water conditions) with sections of tippet. OR, I change flies and that uses up tippet material and at some point I will have to add a little more. Also, if tou snag up on something and break off a section you will have to replace it. Sometimes a trout will get under or around a rock and "saw" the tippet against the rock which causes abrasions and weakens the tippet material. Then that section will have to be replaced. You should check your tippet every once in a while both by sight and by drawing it between your fingers to feel any irregularities.....Bob

I always tie tippet to tapered leader. MY problem is that I waste way to much of the tapered leader via my ONLY "easy" surgeons knot when I have to renew tippet material. Pretty soon ( after 3 tippet changes or so) I've got to change the entire tapered leader.
    Fly changes waste maybe a mere inch or so while tippet changes waste about 6 inches each time.
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 12 October 2005).]

I make and use furled leaders, thanks to Kathy Scott's DVD, and use a loop to loop connection at the tippet end for ease of changing out the tippet when it becomes too short. Since I fish small nymphs and streamers 99% of the time, I purchase 4 pound test flurocarbon in the 250 yard spools from Wal-Marts and transfer it to smaller spools which I carry in my vest and that is all I use for tippet material. This may be frowned at by most fly fisher people, but, I catch my share of fish with this system an it fits my style of fly fishing and I have a great time. To each their own as long as they are having fun. Just my opinion.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use a tapered leader and then the tippet, usually 6x. When I've replaced it so much that my leader becomes too short I add a length of 3X tippet material to it and this restores my leader length, then tie on my 6X tippet.

I'm not able to spend a lot of money replacing leaders, 3X tippet is much cheaper in the long run.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 12 October 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Ya know, come to think of it, that's what I do too. I do prefer fewer knots though since I have had fish hitting them instead of the fly. And then I have to tie on the dreaded #22s.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 13 October 2005).]

tippet7:

You really owe it to yourself to try a furled leader with either a loop or tiny ring in the end. All you need then is tippet material to loop or knot on.

I started using this system recently, and find it very effective. The furled leaders will turn over up to five feet of tippet if
    the fly (or flies) are not disproportionately large.

I tried the furled leaders and I noticed that it would twist up alot when I yanked it when I got hung up( which happens alot with me). When the fly would come loose, the whole leader would be twisted all to heck. I spent more time untangling the leader than I did fishing, so I went back to the tapered ones. Just my .02.. Rob

I cannot imagine the foolishness of using a opaque furled leader. You might as well tie a foot or two "tippet" directly to your fly line. I find the extra knots to be fish losers. I have a few dozen tapered leaders left over from the large quantity I bought back in the 60's and these still work amazingly enough since they were kept dry and out of the sunlight. However, for the most part, I simply use 3 or 4 or 8 or 12 pound (up to 30 for chinook) straight leader from 200 yard Maxima spools. I use the stiff variety which casts almost as well as the tapered leaders. I don't fish fer bait fish so don't go under 3 pounds.

+ Reply to Thread