+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass rods?

Default fiberglass rods?

Done the reading, looked at the rods in the stores, but I have a question ...
    -- Besides the weight issue, what other things make graphite better than fiberglass?
    -- Are folks still using graphite out there?

P.S. I have a nice 9wt graphite and fish mostly salt, also, I am new at ffishing.
    dc

I have 2 fiberglass fly rods, and still pull them out occasionally to fish with. One's a 6.5 ft Shakespeare from the late 60s, the other an Eagle Claw 7 wt from the early 70s. I stick my old Berkeley 530 on them for the vintage feel ;~) -- and they feel like casting broomsticks compared to my cheap, bottom-of-the-line, fairly modern Cortland graphite rod.

I fished the Poudre with the Shakespeare last week -- but couldn't find my bell-bottoms to wear. ;~) It was fun none the less, kept me on my toes since casting was quite different.
    DANBOB

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 12 October 2005).]

dscapuano

One of the advantages besides weight is IMHO that graphite does a better job of throwing larger/weighted flys in the wind. I own two glass rods. A 7 1/2' and 8'. At those lengths, weight does not become an issue. In the longer lengths, such as 9' graphite is less tiring to throw.

There are those that post on this board that are techies when it comes to rods. I am not one of them. So you may get some more in depth answers.

I might also add that in some situations a good glass rod is just as good if not better than a graphite rod. But then again that's just my HO.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

-- Are folks still using graphite out there?

I'm guessing you are just putting us on.

Fiberglass made a re-emergence a few years ago by some of the major graphite rod mfgs. Problem was they wanted very high prices for them. Perhaps they re-caught on for salt water (I am not a salt water fisherman or have maintained their popularity) but graphite (and cane) are def more in demand for trout fishing. I know the old Scott fiberglass rods draw a good price when ever one appears on ebay. Nothing wrong with any fly rod if you are comfortable with it. Only way to find out what fits you is to try them out. Most FF shows have casting pools and rod makers happy to have you give their rods a try. They are usually located in the asile adjacent to the casting area.

I'm in over my head here but I believe the major difference is fiberglass rods tend to occillate more than graphite in the cast recovery (low modulus).

Fiberglass rods heavy enough to fish in the salt are just that,heavy. My Orvis Golden Eagle 8wt custom is a whopping 7.5 ounces. It casts like a cannon but it's too heavy to use all day. It's excellent for casting big hair bugs.
    There are plenty of good old rods out there if you want one. Phillipson, Winston,and the SA System 9 rods are some of the best in the saltwater sizes.

------------------
    "The trout were laughing so hard at us that they considered evolving legs so they could crawl on to land and catch their breath"
    Dave Barry

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 12 October 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

This was a new guy question. Not trying to put anyone on. I read a lot, post questions on this site and fish. I figure that's the best way to learn.

My problem is that in my experience in other fields of endeavor, you can't always trust what you read. I've used fiberglass for years for spinning, but I'm new a ffishing.

I wanted to find out what real fisherman are using and why and see if that balances out with the reading I do.

I always appreciate the info I get on this site.
    dc

One of the advantages besides weight is IMHO that graphite does a better job of throwing larger/weighted flys in the wind.
    My casting ability stinks anyway and others may cast better in high wind with graphites but I don't. That's why I got a fiberglass and that its more accurate and more forgiving of casting errors for me. For me, my graphite is good for longer distances in low wind so when fish are spooky, I can reach them and the graphite shines. My fiberglass is more bulky but I don't think its heavier than my graphite. Each has its place for me and I use them when and where their strengths are to my advantage.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The reason that A Graphite rod is a better casting tool! (this a fact) The ability for the rod to dampen or recover is the # 1 thing that determins the casting performance of any rod (horse power to weight) the higher the strain rate is for its physical weight, the faster it recovers. A med. strain rate graphite ( 40 million mod.)is about 1/3 the weight of a comparable stiffness in glass. It takes 3X as much glass to make a 9' #7 as a Graphite the same size. The more mass you move the slower it dampens.

Now with this said, if we compare a rod only as a tool, the lighter the better. what you like and enjoy is a different matter completely, and may have nothing to do with performance.

I will say this, if graphite was never invented most avid FF'er would have never ever taken up the sport.

Rich

I have an old Shakspeare 7'9" fly rod which weighs 3.75 oz. and is a 6 wt. Bought it in 1950 and it was considered to be top of the line at that time. I still use it when fishing very small steams. It has the action of a buggy whip and you are hard pressed to cast 40 feet with it and while its still fun for small stream fishing my graphite rods are cannons in comparison to it.

Hello:
    Graphite is not better than glass, it is just different. I think in short light line rods glass or bamboo is superior to graphite rods. Modern glass rods have come along way and are now almost as light as a graphite rods. Diamondback glass rods are very fine fishing tools. In my opinion the best glass rods being made today are made by Mark Steffen of the Steffen Brother's fly rod company. There is no superior rod material glass, graphite and bamboo all have their place in fly rod construction. I fish rods made of all three materials and enjoy them all.

Lanny

+ Reply to Thread