+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FOTW-Electric Dread

Default FOTW-Electric Dread

Cordell Baum's "Electric Dread" fly...
    OK, it's not every year I get a chance to fish saltwater...but I'm considering that plastic material that is used for a the shellback might work for a freshwater crayfish imitator?

Maybe in the orange, or a green...or maybe a yellow (I don't know exactly what colors it might come in...). Could be a very useful pattern for smallies or even carp, too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I was just thinking the very same thing... about the carp flies that is. Hey Dave had another one of those tigers on just the other day. You're going to have to come down here and try this with me some time soon!!!

Steve

Indeed! I think that sounds like a GREAT time!
    The company I work for, Snyder & Associates, has satellite offices in St. Joe and Maryville, MO. So, I've been to St. Joe.

I'm interested to hear the "rest of the story" about your latest tiger connection! What you used, how/where it hit, what happened!

I'm sure this was asked/answered somewhere else... Do you use some sort of leader to prevent a hooked musky from making short work of the mono/fluoro and the end of your fly line?

As far as the the Electric Dread... given the similarities in the feeding behaviors of bonefish & carp, I'd have to think something very similar would appeal to "freshwater bonefish", aka "bugle-mouth bass"...
    Last edited by FishnDave; 08-05-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Golden bones of the mud flats as my friends and I call them!!

The most recent one was a mishap while bass fishing and I hooked him kinda funny so he wasn't on but a second and then threw the hook. When I'm targeting them specifically I use about 3ft of 30lb maxima then about 2ft. of 20lb then another 6-8" of 30lb as a bite tippet. I may need to change the bite tippet a little more often than I hope to but we'll see when I start targeting them more selectively and actually hooking them intentionally.

Most definately let me know next time you're going to be down this way and we'll try and fish a bit. Oh and check out the stuff I posted on the events board (we're hosting a warm water one fly at Pony Express!!!!)

Does it feel lonely on this page to you or is it just me, I think we're the only ones talking??

Steve
    Last edited by SteveP; 08-07-2008 at 07:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread