+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A CDC question

Question A CDC question

Several instructional items on CDCs by Al Campbell, Dave Hughes etc. imply that the is a single CDC feather. I have several packs of CDC that would require at least 4 or more feathers to provide the amount of fibers shown in their photos. Have I missed something or are my feathers just inferior quality?

Ray -

I usually end up using several feathers on the patterns I tie with CDC. On a really small fly, one or two feathers might do it, but even on a size 16 Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis I'm using three. Maybe a parachute post or wings on a small mayfly would only require one, or a small emerger ??

Might use fewer feathers by stripping the fibers off the stem of one feather instead of "stacking" them the way I've been doing it. But when I've tried that, I find the fibers difficult to control, what with the very rough skin on my fingers.

I'm using high quality CDC from a couple hunters. I doubt that that is the problem you're having ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Newer fly tying books correct this!

Ray and John,

It seems like many of the early books about CDC feathers implied that a single feather could float a lead ingot. Many of the new books and recipe sources are now acknowledging the fact that three, four or even more CDCs may be needed to make flies behave properly. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 08-04-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Ray,
    I think the Marryat CDC tool is the best investment you can make if you use CDC for wings (unless you are handier than I am and can make your own). It enables you to use the entire feather with basically no waste and it is easy to use. If you have decently sized feathers, using all the fibers on one feather will make a pretty full wing on most flies.
    Joe

Joe -

I hadn't heard of the Marryat CDC tool before your post here. I googled it and just got a lot of websites selling the product, none describing it or how it is used, or reviews.

Can you elaborate on it ?? Would much appreciate it.

Thanks.

John

John,
    It looks like a bodkin but has three prongs instead of one. You stroke the CDC fibers until they are at 90 degrees from the stem. You then insert the very tip of the feather in between the prongs and roll up the feather along the stem, leaving you with all of the fibers clumped together sticking out from both sides of the tightly rolled up stem. Fold the rolled up feather in half (if you want all of the fibers. If you just need half of them don't fold it in half), clip the tightly rolled up stem off, and tie in the clump of CDC fibers (or tie it in first and then clip the stem. This seems to sometimes keep the fibers together easier). You can use almost every bit of every fiber on the feather.
    I hope this is understandable. Maybe someone else who has one can describe it better than I.
    Joe

Ray normally CDC (Which means literally ducks arse or ducks *** in your language) are very small sparce feathers. Mark Pettijean (the magic tool man) does sell some larger ones, but I find they have a much thicker stem, and even these you need at least two feathers.

I have got the marryat tool, which does work and its easy to use, however the folding of the feather at the end so you can cut off the stem leaves you with very short fibres in most cases. I also have the magic tool from Marc Pettijean and this works great, but you still need two, three or more feathers to make a decent body or wing.

Oliver Edwards in his videos demonstrates taking out part of the centre stems creating a V shape in the feather and tying them in then pulling the feathers back so the thread comes off the stems, but he uses several feathers stacked.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Ray,

There are 4 different types of cdc feathers. If you bought a pack you probably have mostly type 4, but some of the others as well. Maybe the pattern was using a puff?

here's a link:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwcdc/

From a practical stand point I buy the packs and cdc = cdc and call it good. Heck they've already got me speaking french (freedom feathers anyone?). My flies are scruffy enough and I have enough materials already without cdc x 4 x # colors I use. But you will see oiler puffs sold at a bit of a premium, as well as "cdc" which can include different types but is mostly type 4. If you look in your pack you'll probably be able to spot the different types with the help of the article.

If I had .000000001 % of the tying skills as Hans and some of the other folks on this board, I'd probably be a lot more attentive to the types and their optimal uses, but all have those happening water repellant and air trappiness qualities you'll come to know and love. i just use enough to get it done, which maybe one puff or a few type 4's or whatever whatever and whatever.

As others have said on many cdc threads on the board, don't use standard paste or liquid floatant on cdc, (though some pretreat with Rainex) but a dive and shake in silica gel or other dry powder will restore them and add a great deal of sparkle from trapped air which can be a very good thing for caddis and mayfly emergers.

Hope this helps.

peregrines
    Last edited by peregrines; 08-04-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Joe -

Thanks much for the explanation of the Marryat tool and how to use it. ( If I can figure that out on a Monday morning, you must have done a good job describing how it works !! )

I haven't tried any of the onstream drying powders. Generally, just blowing on the CDC will be enough to dry it ( at least for those of us with hot air to spare ). Maybe that is where the preen oil comes in - keeps the fibers from becoming waterlogged and clumping longer, as they will do at some point ??

John

John,
    It's "suggested" you NOT use any regular floatants on CDC. I found a CDC oil at FeatherCraft that replenishes the natural oil and keeps the fly high and dry. Costs a bit more than Frog Fanny but really works on CDC's and any really delicate little dry fly.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread