+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New in Tallahassee

Default New in Tallahassee

Just moved to Tallahassee from Minnesota. I have no idea where to begin my fly fishing experience here but I am eager to get started. Since I am back to knowing nothing about the fly fishing opportunities here, I've decided to purchase a kayak and learn that at the same time.

If anyone on the board knows this area and/or flyfishing kayaks and has any advice, I would sure appreciate any help I can get. Start the new job tomorrow and want to get fishing as soon as I can.Thanks

Hello Travel'r, I am a new member also living in Jacksonville, Fla. I have a solo canoe Wildfire and a Hobie quest kayak for fly fishing. I have done two day float trips down the Suwannee and Withlachoochee rivers, camping on the numerous sand bars and fishing for bass and redbrest(bream) the fishing is good and the rivers are beautiful. Check with Canoe Outfitters at Suwannee River Music park good guys, they can provide numerous shuttles on both rivers and drop you off at places that can be a day or multiple day trips. Leave your vehicle at their place (safe) float down and take out. The river levels now are close to 52 ft. above sea level, good camping and mild current. The Withlacoochee does have some level 1 and 2 white water but nothing serious, actually fun and nice pools below the whitewater. The Suwannee has one level 3 whitewate Big Shoals but I put in below there. Go to a good bookstore and get Florida's Fabulous Canoe and Kayak trail guide, written by tim ohr/peter carmichael, everything you will want to know. Good Luck and tight lines, Shacked

Shacked,

Thanks very much for the information on the Suwanee and Withlachochee Rivers. I have a canoe myself and I am researching a kayak purchase. Those float trips sound great. I will definitely be checking them out.

+ Reply to Thread