+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp on the fly

Default Carp on the fly

Thanks to a little pattern help from Flygoddess I have strarted catching these guys. This is my personal best so far - 25", 5#13oz. (Caught yesterday evening along with a 21" and a couple smaller in the 18" range) They sure do fight & it sure is fun. Thanks Flygoddess for the help.
    Last edited by okieflyfisheman; 08-15-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Correct the fish weight
    Larry

Right On! Welcome to the MADNESS! CARPAHOLOICS!

Welcome to the dark side. Anyone who fishes for carp with a fly rod is a crazy person and must be A OK with me. Others in the fly fishing community will laugh, your friends will look down at the ground when you speak of carp fishing with great enthusiasum. But, all the while you will have a grand smile on your face and know more pleasure than most catching 9" brookies.

I also liked that you are keeping track of your adventures. I personally do a log entry on every outting. Sometimes, I'm more descriptive and others very short and to the point. It's fun looking back over those entries. I caught a fish with a new friend just yesterday. He originally guessed the fish at 25 pounds then said that it must be 30 pounds. Want to guess what it really did on a scale? 15 pounds, 2 oz is what the scale read in other words your 4 pounder is really many peoples 10 pounder. It's nice to keep accurate records.

The challenge, is there as well as great opportunities. Have fun and smile all the time that you think about these great fish. Again, welcome to the dark side of fly fishing.

Rick

Cool Okie:

What flies are you using that work?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Yes, do tell!

Gandolf
    I am tying a corn fly with butternut sparkle chinille. I put a little superglue on the shank of a mustad 9671 #8 hook and pinch a size 0 split shot onto the hook shank. I mash the splitshot flat. I then tie in the chinille at the back of the split shot, put a little superglue on each flat side of the splitshot then wrap the chinille to the front of the splitshot and then make an X front to back then back to front. Finish the fly with a white collar and whip it off. Sinks quickly and has been working well for me. I have also tied up some carp hex but they havent been working as well for me but your milage may vary.
    Last edited by okieflyfisheman; 08-10-2008 at 02:49 AM.
    Larry

Is that a "popcorn fly"?

That's great, Larry! Way to go!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default popcorn fly

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of the popcorn fly you are tying? I too am very interested in trying to catch carp on a fly. I've been watching carp tailing down river from Denison Dam just like redfish in the flats. One friend fishing with me caught one on a Clouser but that's it. The carp are really beautiful in the Red River. Thanks for any help.

Here is the popcorn ball which is what I caught them on.

but here is POPCORN. Pretty easy to tie, and I have no idea why I haven't tried it yet.

Blog Entries

A big congratulations!!! And a big evil stare Carp make me so angry hahaha. It's just not my time to catch them I guess lol.

Keep up the good work
    Shane

+ Reply to Thread