8:30am 74 degree outside temp

No obvious hatch

Cased caddis on rolled over rocks.

What is your first target area?
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

1) small wooley bugger drifted into hole and then make it look like it is "holding it's own" against the current.
    2) an emerger, drifted with small weight 18 inches above........killer to the little buggers!
    3) black ants!
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 08-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Are there green worms on those trees? If so, I might try a green weenie drifted along and under the undercut bank based on that overhang of green trees.

I'd suggest the following to try:

1. Small Green Madam-X size 14 with a midge size 20 or 22 on 7x flouro tippet trailed about 18" behind the Madam-X. The grass and the tree coverage to me just screams "terrestrial".

2. Shenk's White Minnow with a split shot about 3" above the fly. Swim it "like a bait fish" through all the water.

3. If all else fails - Olive / Black Woolly Bugger in size 12 or 14 tied about a foot behind a Hare's Ear Nymph fished in all "fishy looking" places.

These have all produced for me over the years enough that I don't even think about hatches unless I can't see the water because of the bugs in the air. #2 and #3 are just deadly searching methods for water where I can't figure out what is on the menu.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Len, due to the vegetation, this looks like a roll cast situation to me. I'd start fishing upstream, casting to about where the guy is standing, and carefully work my way up to the root clump on the left. I'd give that area some special attention, then work on up to the riffle. The white water on the left would get some definite attention, if possible, I'd like to fish it from just slightly downstream or from directily across. Flies of choice would probably be caddis emergers or small streamers.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Puzzled over that picture

Hi Spinner,

Great photo, as usual.

I must have looked at this picture twenty or thirty times trying to decide how I would fish that very sweet spot. I think I would be tempted to try a little Czech nymphing using a three-fly rig with smaller and lighter than normal nymphs, maybe size #10 or even #12. The distances and and the depth look perfect for that type of approach. I would definitely drift them by those roots as close as I could but I would also bounce them along the center main channel. I would really be surprised if this a method failed to produce at least a few fish. 8T

Is this a test?

OR

Are you asking for help?

Blog Entries

Default picking anglers brains

Always in learning mode.

Like to read and see how someone else would approach/fish holes.
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

If I didn't know the water, I would fish a hopper with a hare's ear or PT and brassie dropper. I would fish upstream working from the inside edge to the undercut. Working every lane before lengthening my cast and doing the same thing again. OR I would dead drift a white streamer with a rust colored stone fly above it along the undercut and swing it into the inside bank working downstream taking a step after every other cast or so.

PS

There was probably a fish right where the person is standing.
    Last edited by Flyrodde; 08-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Default yes there was

Jimmie fished that area before he moved up.

He caught 2 where he was standing.

He did lots of roll casting...
    and many trees were adorned with flies that day.
    2nd time out for him ever.

Jimmie was using a size 14 lightning bug...
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread